whose power button has failed this week?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by boczkowski, Mar 28, 2007.

?

so - when did your power button give out?

1. 1-2 months (new TX with warranty)

2.4%
  2. 3-4 months (new TX with warranty)

7.1%
  3. 5-6 months (new TX with warranty)

9.5%
  4. 7-8 months (new TX with warranty)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 9-10 months (new TX with warranty)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 11-12 months (new TX with warranty)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 12 months and 1 minute (right after warranty expired)

4.8%
  8. refurbished TX with no warranty 1-4 months

2.4%
  9. refurbished TX with no warranty 5-8 months

2.4%
  10. I have a TX with a fully working poswer button and it is....(expand below)

78.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arborguy

Arborguy Coffee

Purchased my TX in June 2006, no issues with power button at all, in fact it seems to be a well engineered device. Of course, with this said, I should immediately purchase the extended warranty so as not to tempt fate.

2. fostermom

fostermom Newbie

do not have any issue right now

3. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

Power button works, but occasionally have to press and hold or double pump.

4. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I got my Tx in Oct. '05 and the power button died w/i 2 months. I got an advanced excahnge and stopped using it. I save it for a hard reset which I have not had to do since Nov. '06. I use an app called PowerButton and use one of my hard buttons to power on and off.

5. boczkowski

boczkowski be gentle with me

wow I am amazed to see so many people saying that their power buttons are ok to be honest

Mine worked fine and dandy from day 1 without ever needing a double press, if it had needed a double press from day 1, I would have assumed it was faulty and taken it back to the hell that is PC World

People seem very accepting of this failure in the device - if you bought a TV, DVD player, Mobile, sorry, cell phone that needed it's on switch pressing twice, when that wasn't the standard way it should work - would you accept it? I am genuinely curious. I am loathed to return mine for some of the same reasons people have quoted:
    -I can'y manage without mu 2nd brain
    -I don't trust Palm to fix it/not send me a refurb with a working power switch/some other horror
    -I also don't trust PC world to not cock it up somewhere along the line

anyway, as I say I'm curious

do people think I should return it or what or just accept it and remap a hard button?
    Also, should I ever need to do a HARD reset (is it?) what do I do if I have remapped the power button? Just in case

6. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

Just fix it, don't return it. Take off the TX's back. Touch a drop of WD-40 to the plunger of the switch (not the button) so that it will 'wick' into the switch. Resolder the switch's contacts if they are broke but I doubt they will be. Put the back on and enjoy it.

7. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

My understanding, though I can no longer remember the source for this, is that the double-click is the way it was designed. I requires negligible extra effort and I don't even notice it anymore. The power button is entirely and completely reliable. Further, in contrast to my T2, the TX requires a great deal of effort to turn on accidentally. I'm quite happy with it.

8. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

Mine has just failed last week and was fine...then it failed again today! It appears to me that it might be my case as it is loose, because when I press against the case it makes a sort of cracking noises. I also guess it is because it was refurbished when I had bought it.

9. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

With respect to the double click of the power button, put on some headphones and listen as you turn the TX on and off. If you hear a click sound in the headphone the first time you press the button but if it still requires a second clidk of the button to come on, then this means there is nothing wrong with the button as it is a 'single pole, single throw switch' and the fact that you hear the audio circuitry via the headphone verifys that the switch made contact when you pressed it.

The TX will not turn ON immediately after turning it OFF. You might think that this is a bad power button/switch, but again, listen in the headphones and you will hear when the switch actually makes contact. The TX requires a bit of time (a second or so) after turning it OFF untill it can be turned ON again.

10. phonevoice

phonevoice Mobile Evangelist

Wow that ZLauncher looks like a great app. Is it also a sort of upgrade to FileZ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.