Which VGA Pocket PC is Right For You?

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Steve, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

Steve Brighthand Founder

Soon there will be three Pocket PCs with VGA displays and dual slots on the market. Although they are somewhat similar, the exact specifications of these models vary, and people considering buying one should look carefully before deciding which one best fits his or her needs.

Read about it at http://www.brighthand.com/article/Which_VGA_Pocket_PC_is_Right

2. ctitanic

ctitanic Mobile Deity

Will be 5 PPCs with VGA:

Asus, loox, hx4700, e800 and Toshibas e830 (if the latest documents found in FCC are a trully sign of Toshiba planning to release this one)

3. ctitanic

ctitanic Mobile Deity

4. ktdan1

ktdan1 Mobile Deity

Any Information on USB Hosting\VGA output expasion on the the other three. I might be wrong but Tosh is still the only one offering this currently?

I would be outstanding if HP this as well. For $650 I would expect it.

5. ktdan1

ktdan1 Mobile Deity

Cool chart covered evey thing but VGA out.

6. imported_Duncan

imported_Duncan Mobile Deity

I hate to be picky (really) but:
    Strictly speaking - and not including the e800 (which surely is officially discontinued now?) - there will be 7 new models of VGA Pocket PC:

Asus a730 BT
    Asus a730 BT/WiFi
    FSC Loox 720
    Fujitsu Loox v70
    Toshiba e830 BT
    Toshiba e830 BT/WiFi
    HP iPAQ hx4700
    The a730 is actually 117.5 mm long (4.63 "). The 190 g weight (yet to be absolutely confirmed - but it is what they said a while back) is for the dual wireless model only - the BT only version, released first, is 170 g.
    In actual fact it has 19.22 MB of built-in ROM storage. Asus have simply left it off their most recent datasheet.

The 128 MB RAM (111 MB user accessible) is for the dual-wireless only; the BT only version has 64 MB (48 MB user accessible).
    The e800 has WiFi or Bluetooth. The e830 is somewhat beyond rumour (as is the dual-wireless nature of it) as the FCC have blatantly confirmed both...
    Only the BT only version. The dual wireless version will have a 1440 mAh battery (that, plus the WiFi module, presumably explaining the 20 g increase in weight...!!). The BT version will be first (and currently is the only *strictly* officially anounced one).

7. imported_Duncan

imported_Duncan Mobile Deity

I didn't include VGA out because none of them have it - though the e830 presumably will. However - with all of them having dual expansion slots it would be easy enough to use the (far superior) CF/SD VGA solutions from Colorgraphic, MARGI etc. (all of which offer more than just VGA out). :)

8. DanielTS

DanielTS Mobile Deity

Quite surprising, hx4700 and Dell Axim X30, PXA270-based PPC, don?t have the USB Hosting. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

9. ctitanic

ctitanic Mobile Deity

Question? is the Fujitsu Loox v70 going to be released in the West or it?s something only for the East Market?

10. ktdan1

ktdan1 Mobile Deity

I was thinking of a PDA replace a laptop\desktop setup(My personel NAVANA). As plug in expasion module, plug in the Mouse\Keyboard\Monitor and off you go to desktop publishing.

The expasion pack from Tosh was down to $50(USB\VGA OUT functionality). for the price it could not be beat.