Which is the best Android OS ever?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by kuddus, Jan 4, 2015.

?

Which is the best Android OS ever?

Poll closed Feb 3, 2015.
  1. Gingerbread

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Honeycomb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ice Cream Sandwich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jelly Bean

40.0%
  5. KitKat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lollipop

60.0%
  1. kuddus

kuddus Mobile Consultant

Gingerbread (2.3–2.3.7)
    Honeycomb (3.0–3.2.6)
    Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0–4.0.4)
    Jelly Bean (4.1–4.3.1)
    KitKat (4.4–4.4.4)
    Lollipop (5.0–5.0.2)

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

good question; imo, it'd be the storage 'specifications' of Gingerbread, with some of the updates elsewhere of the latter 4.x versions, so not on your list.....

Hook likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Also, it doesn't break down that neatly. I would say that 4.2.x is certainly a candidate for one of my favorites, but I thought 4.3 was a terrible update, so you can't just say Jelly Bean. I probably agree with Rick's assessment.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Does it really matter? Few are going to keep an old version, especially the oldest ones.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't have strong feelings about which is best in terms of nuts-and-bolts under-the-skin issues, but I voted for Lollipop because I think Material Design is frickin' awesome from the perspectives of user interface and aesthetic design.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

It's rather amazing how much longevity Gingerbread had. And it isn't just that it's still kicking on millions of devices, it's that it was actually the marketshare leader for many years after it was left behind. The market loved it a lot more than Google did.

Google tried to push Android makers and users in a particular direction starting with honeycomb. They hated buttons, they hated external storage, they liked flashy aesthetics and homogeny and didn't care how unfriendly lower end hardware would respond. As a result, gingerbread continued to ship on boatloads of devices around the world, mostly in prepaid markets where people cared how much bang they got for their buck.

To Google's credit, they eventually noticed that there were legit reasons for Gingerbread's success and started making OSs Jelly Bean and higher friendlier on more modest hardware. I think their Motorola acquisition influenced their thinking. They also became less hostile to sd storage and Googorola even designed some phones with external storage before the lenovo sale.

To address Edmund's question, I think it matters a little in that if Gingerbread hadn't lived larger and longer than it was ever supposed to, the most modern versions of Android might not be nearly as good as they are. Google might never have noticed the extent of demand on the low end and mid range but for some surprising market share numbers.

This also led them to Android One and Project Ara. I think something as aesthetically unpleasing as Project Ara would have made the Google that launched Honeycomb violently ill. There would have been hissy fits and fainting spells. Google still likes things nice and shiny, but they seem to have lost that urge to out-Apple Apple and are more open to a diverse approach to the market. Thanks, in part, to Gingerbread.

7. kuddus

kuddus Mobile Consultant

I hope lots of people will let us know what is their favorite OS and Why?

mariaghuair likes this.
  8. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Probably like the look of ICS and Jellybean the most although there seemed to be confusion with OEM's and what on screen buttons should do and where settings dots should be.
    I hate the look of Lollipop apart from the main icons, too much like the $2 shop kids toy look of Metro.....monopoly cards anyone? "flat" and ugly shades of pastels/solid color can't die soon enough for this guy.

9. John Farrel

John Farrel Mobile Evangelist

Lollipop still has a number of bugs which needs to be taken care of, so JellyBean is the best OS I have ever used !

weegie likes this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I always upgrade to the latest available version, root, and apply fixes if needed (such as the SD fix for 4.4.4) and never look back. I haven't had problems going forward on any of my devices. Used to be a time when I would play with custom ROMs but now I keep my devices stock and rooted. Google seems to pay at least some attention to customers and/or developers, as seen in their decision to re-enable full SD card access for Lollipop. When Sony releases Lollipop for my Xperia Z1 (supposed to happen around February or March) I'm sure I'll upgrade.

IMO the poll should have a "whichever is the latest, as long as it can be rooted" option. I'd vote for that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.