Where to Find Garmin 3600 English Voice Files?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by proto57, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

On your PC, look in "Program Files\Palm\Add-on" folder. All the files you need should be in there. You should be able to use the Install function in the Palm Desktop to re-install them. Or copy them to the unit as was already mentioned.

If the files aren't in that folder on your PC and you still have not aqcquired the necessary files just PM me with an email address and I'll be happy to zip the files you need and email them to you.

...ken... <still have functioning 3600 & 3600A>

2. proto57

proto57 Mobile Enthusiast

Hi, Ken: They were not in there, since I did not have the files when I first synced my Ique. They either end up in that folder when you use the voice file install, or when you first sync. The only files in that folder were the Norwegian voice files, which I had installed myself.

Thanks so much! But a friend beat you to it... He got the English install files to me. This was the whole install program from the setup disk, so it properly installed the files into the Palm desktop installer, and when I synced, Voila! My Silver Elephant spoke to me.

I'm certain sharing these files is not a problem, as Garmin never sold them separately... they were intended to follow a unit, through it's lifetime, through all it's owners. It is only through an oversight on their part that some owners lost them. Anyway, that being said, thanks to the helpful member, I have them... and I will hold on to them, so they will be available.

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Wonderful news for you! :)

4. proto57

proto57 Mobile Enthusiast

Yes sometimes the little things are so rewarding. This stupid thing is a great gps, a very nice mp3 player, a book reader (I have about 25 books, and 4 websites on it), a movie player (I keep a film clip of my daughter piloting our motor boat, and the latest ep of a science fiction film), photo browser, drawing program, game player, including crossword puzzles and action games, and of course all the easy to use and handy Palm organizer stuff. It is quite the pocket computer/media center/navigator.

It really surprises me that these did not become the standard for Garmin. I find it very handy, and the new units do not do one quarter of what these do. I see you can have a photo viewer on some of those, and a couple of things... but nothing like this.

5. EML

EML Newbie

I too am in the same situation. Betty has lost her voice. I have searched endlessly and finally ended up in this forum. Would it be possible for one of you kind folks to help me with the files as well??

Thank you!

6. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

I posted this just 3 or 4 messages above yours.

...ken...

7. EML

EML Newbie

Thank you Ken but the files are not there. My palm install came from the Garmin download and does not include the voice files. I do not have the CD as it was not included in my second hand purchase. I have been able to do everything else with the Garmin site but not the voice files. (Unless of course I could speak Finnish or Norwegian)

Erik

PM sent. Thank you!

8. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Oh good grief, someone here with the voice files, send him a copy. Its not like we can get them from Garmin anymore, can we? I would send them to him, but I sold all my 3600 stuff, and included all the disks and accessories I had.

9. EML

EML Newbie

:)

I DO really like the 3600. Unfortunate that it was discontinued and there is minimal support for it. Thanks rkevwill for understanding. I should have bought one from you!

10. EML

EML Newbie

Problem solved. Thank you Phil for helping me out! :D