When did Google become stingy like Apple?.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Oct 16, 2019.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

We have seen this coming for a long time from Google moving from Nexius phones to Pixel phones - I guess I was hoping that they would come back to their roots.

https://mashable.com/article/google-pixel-4-stingy/

On a personal note, I wish I could have a phone with a camera like Pixel's. I keep reading that you can load the Google camera software onto your phone if it is running the latest OS - but my LG v10 isn't. Even if I could get the latest OS on, all the articles that I have read say that not everything works or works very slow.

Last night walking our dog I walked under a street sign. Looking up I saw a huge owl just sitting on it. I tried taking a picture but nothing worked. I even used a flash but the street sign's reflecting material caused a white out and I couldn't see the owl. It is times like this that I wish I had a better camera.

With the Pixel 4 coming out, maybe I should consider a used Pixel 3 or the Pixel 3a or wait until other phones catch up with Google with their camera.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

Mi An, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've tried a couple of the Pixel's camera ports (called Gcam something) on my LG G6. It's not running the latest OS, once I tried it when running Android 8, and a few months ago I tried them using Android 9. I saw some improvements, but nothing too significant. I'm not sure if it was a real improvement or a placebo effect. I hear lots of marvelous things about the Gcam from other G6 users, but the pics they post don't usually seem to support those claims. I guess the hardware or OSware just isn't there in the G6 to make full use of the Gcam. But it is true that some stuff doesn't work, like saving pics to the SD card, or having to use two different apps, one for the normal main camera, another for the ultra wide camera, instead of simply being able to switch from one to the other.

Getting a good pic while facing a reflective surface is really hard. Once I tried to take a pic of an iced window at night, and to make things worse there was a lit sign behind the window, and results where awful. That time I even tried with Gcam and couldn't get a good pic.

My G6 just passed the two year mark and is working fine except that it looks like the battery is giving less runtime (haven't measured time, but it feels like some times it lasts less than usual) and also the camera glass is scratched. It's not the same grade of Gorilla Glass as the rest of the back of the phone, which is unfortunate as the rest of the glass is in pristine condition. I'm tempted to start looking for a new device. I think I may give the camera a higher priority than usual. It would be the first time I do this.

Mi An, jigwashere, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Stingier IMO is that they followed Apple with pricing and not having a card slot. From what I can tell, while the Pixels have been good phones and well-reviewed, they often get offered with very heavy discounts not long after introduction, which indicates they don't sell all that well.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I wish I had a better camera, too. This morning, to give the dog a little privacy while she dropped her morning gift to me, I averted my gaze skyward and noticed a bald eagle perched above. This was the best I could do.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I have to use a really old version of the Google Camera on my Moto G5S Plus, even though it's running Oreo because for some reason (until the Moto G7) Motorola decided to go with a 32-bit version of Android. The latest Google Camera requires 64-bit Android. Anyway, my pictures still turn out really excellent even with this older 32-bit version of Google Camera (I think it was ported from the Google Nexus 6, which was also Motorola and also 32-bit OS). Strangely, 1080p video does not work! I have to use 4K video instead. One would think it would be the opposite, but nope. All other features of that version works perfectly, including pano, 360, etc. One drawback of the Google Camera is that it doesn't support saving to external storage (like the external SD card) because, of course, Nexus and Pixel phones wouldn't know anything about external storage. I get around that with an app called Folder Sync (which I think I first heard about here on Brighthand).

The reason my pics turn out so great is purely due to the Google's HDR+ algorithm. FYI, to take advantage of the HDR+, you have to have the Camera2API enabled. Most times you have to be rooted to enable it, but at least with Motorola starting with Oreo they already had it enabled with the stock Oreo update. This eliminated 1 of the 2 reasons I had for rooting my phone (with the other being the free wifi hotspot, which I now have for free through Sprint). Before I realized it was already enabled, I did figure out a very convoluted way to enable it without rooting that required using ADB to push/pull the configuration files and edit them on the PC since they cannot be edited without rooting the phone.

Mi An, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Wow - I'm jealous & happy for you!

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

I'm deliberately not using reply, because there's no reason to double the photo; but even blurry, that's a cool eagle shot. There are a few bald eagle where I live; but mostly around reservoirs and slightly more rural areas. I'd be shocked to see one on a local walk; but I'm pretty sure I did see a golden eagle once.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. EdmundDantes

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

please see bolded text, above, Edmund. Just trying to share some knowledge :vbwink:
    and I agree, it's a cool picture :newpalm:

EdmundDantes, Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

Yeah, I figured I could delete the photo, but the reference was pretty obvious and I usually am pressed for time.