What's the best BlackBerry option for me?

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by Shaheen18, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Shaheen18

Shaheen18 Newbie

I need a honest opinion here: If I wanted to avoid the Z10 (because it doesn't have a physical keyboard) or Q10 (due to bugs, issues. etc.) what's the best option for me? Would it be the BlackBerry Bold 9930? Anyone other options?

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Welcome to Brighthand, Shaheen18. I recommend you also ask over at Crackberry. There are a lot of current BB users over there. I am a former BB user and I've (sort of) kept up with things BB. Perhaps you could explain why you want a BB and that would help with my recommendation. I would tend to avoid the older BB phones like the Bold 9930 because they don't offer the new BBX OS which is the future. I should also mention that the BB 9930 was the "best BB yet" way back when it was introduced (by the company formerly known as RIM). If you want the vintage BB experience, then the 9930 is the way to go.

But if you care about apps, buying an older BB now would be like buying a PalmOS Garnet phone when WebOS came out or buying a Windows Mobile phone when Windows Phone came out or a Symbian phone after Nokia announced they were switching to Windows Mobile. This is because the app infrastructure is about to dry up and blow away. The good news is that BBOS apps don't require a central "app store" so you won't be high and dry and can still obtain apps directly from developers. The bad news is that many developers have already moved on either to BBX or away from BBOS altogether. So if you don't care about apps then the Bold might work for you. I would imagine BES/BIS servers will be around for years to come and you absolutely require a BB server to get email. BIS is the variety for end users for personal email and BES is the variety for work email. Many companies continue to use BB phones (including mine) though it is not possible to order a replacement BB at my company right now. The only option we currently offer for replacement phones is Android and die hard BB users are walking our halls with 4 year old phones. Rumor has it the iPhone 5C will become available to employees. I expect a flood of upgrades if that ever happens.

So please offer just a bit more info on your needs so I can make a more educated recommendation.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    RickAgresta and Hook like this.