What's important for you in a smartphone?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Troman, Dec 7, 2012.

1. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I'm not the one you asked, but I'll chime in anyway based on my experience with Note II demo units.

Their Wacom digitizers are generally what you expect out of Wacom (precise, pressure-sensitive, perfect palm rejection), but for some reason, one of the Note II units had a bit of finely jagged inconsistency in a particular area of the screen that made straight vertical lines come out a bit squiggly. This isn't a problem in the Note 10.1 or all the Tablet PCs I've used, but those have the benefit of much larger surface areas with roughly the same resolution. Also note that it was just one Note II that I've encountered the issue with; I need to sample some more and make sure it isn't something like the clamps that usually keeps these smartphones stuck in place.

I've encountered much worse with resistive digitizers, some of which had nasty drift issues that made them almost unusable. Even when they don't have drift issues, the lack of palm rejection is quite a drawback on larger screens. Also, not having any sort of hover input with a cursor that shows you exactly where pixels are going to be painted on the screen when you put that nib down can also be a pain.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Thanks for that info. You know a lot more about digitizers than I do so I appreciate the input.

3. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Interesting, you have completely the opposite finding to me....wonder if it's the angle I hold the stylus at, that still won't help the ink lagging behind the tip of the pen though, how did you find that? I found it really annoying on both Notes I had and the Note 2 I tried although I've seen some video's where it's looked a lot better

By drift, you mean going out of alignment? I've never had any problem with alignment except on both Notes I had, which seemed constantly on the move

4. LandSurveyor

Can the screen be recalibrated to eliminate the problem?

5. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Others reckoned tapping the screen in each corner would recalibrate it, but I didn't find it made much difference.
    The first Notes didn't have an alignment calibration tool like resistive devices had and I couldn't see one on the Note 2 but maybe it does somewhere.I know you can fiddle around screwing the resistor or whatever it is inside the pen in and out to alter the sensitivity distance to the screen but as far as orientation, I don't think so
    Strange how some seem to be quite good in videos and others look to be not that great like mine, I wonder if it's more to do with the angle it's interacting with the screen at, I tend to use stylus at quite a lot of different angles because I like to have my hand fixed against the device in one place and just use fingers to extend the stylus top to bottom, which of course changes the angle.

6. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

You're welcome. I tend to get really in-depth with digitizer tech, even knowing about more obscure variants not used on portables.
    The pen angle is definitely a factor in nib/cursor alignment, even on Penabled digitizers without tilt sensitivity. I calibrate my Tablet PC digitizers by taking it into account.

Yes, going out of alignment is exactly what I mean by drift. It tends to happen on cheap 4/5-wire resistive digitizers, although anything grid-based like capacitive is immune. Wacom tech has to take into account any irregularities in the electromagnetic field, especially around the edges.
    In theory, yes. Most Wacom Penabled devices have calibration screens for reasons mentioned above.

In practice, the Galaxy Note II is the exception, or at least I couldn't find the calibration panel under S-Pen settings like the Note 10.1. Quite a baffling decision by Samsung there.

7. LandSurveyor

To me that would indicate they're not terribly serious about it.