What's important for you in a smartphone?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Troman, Dec 7, 2012.

1. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

What's important for me?

-Large, high-resolution screen. Web pages don't look very nice at low resolutions.
    -Performance and responsiveness.
    -Reception. A smartphone loses much of its utility without a connection.
    -The ability to do exactly what I want with it instead of the device manufacturer dictating what I can and can't do.
    -PIM software that can compete with the Palm OS and Windows Mobile offerings.
    -If feasible, a Wacom pen digitizer. That's what really makes me rank Samsung's Galaxy Note line above all else, along with all of the above.

I have a Galaxy S III right now, but mostly because the Sprint BOGO promo didn't extend to the Galaxy Note II. Oh well, I can wait for the inevitable Note III or Note IV.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

They brief demo I had of a Note II in the Tmo store was pretty impressive. I don't know how much software there is written for it, though.

You bring up an interesting point. I wonder how good the PIM features are on the new Windows machines as opposed to the old ones. Palm was more intuitive but WM was certainly as complete as any I've ever seen.

3. NamelessPlayer

Windows Phone 7 is a complete break from Windows Mobile, as you know. I certainly don't expect the PIM suite to be as capable.

Now that I think back to my WM days, I preferred to do PIM entirely from the Today screen using PocketBreeze or Spb Diary. An Android widget could certainly make for a nice frontend like that, even if it needs 4x4 space.

The Galaxy Note devices have an uphill battle regarding software support for the S-Pen/Wacom digitizer, however. Desktop Windows has a leg up there due to XP Tablet PC Edition existing for a decade, but if Samsung can entice enough developers, they will deliver the Courier that Microsoft would not.

4. LandSurveyor

I think that to get developer interest, the Notes are going to have to continue to be tablets as well as large smartphones and Samsung will have to make sure everybody knows the Note(s) will not be going away. Perhaps they should set their sights on some pen-centric market segment and make a concerted push in that direction, if only to prove their commitment and inspire developer confidence.

I was just looking at the 10.1 and thinking what a great device it would be but 500 bucks would buy a decent laptop. There will have to be a compelling reason to choose the tablet.

Conceivably, developer success with the tablet would extend to the phone also.

5. cellphonecity

cellphonecity Newbie

Battery, speed, capacity, and good camera! I also opt for smartphones with smaller screens :)

6. MarilynMaybe

MarilynMaybe Newbie

It would have to be very fast network/data speed. Thankfully, AT&T is here in San Francisco with its 4G LTE. With that on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, my work as a graphic designer is enhanced 10X over! I can upload and download huge images back and forth with my clients without having to go back to my desktop.

7. NamelessPlayer

I saw a TV commercial for the Galaxy Note II recently. They're pushing for its adoption in business/corporate/enterprise, which is one of the markets that would definitely get the point of the Note line.

I'd also advise Samsung to start pushing the Note products toward the academic sector. Few people take more notes than students, that's for sure. That goes double for math students, who can't take notes easily without a pen.

The Galaxy Note 10.1 was a tempting device; I got to try out a display unit at a store. It feels nice in the hands, the digitizer response is very accurate throughout the screen, and even though the screen only has a 1280x800 resolution, I wasn't really bothered by it.

The only thing is that the $450-500 price tag really kills its appeal, especially when that's reaching into the category of second-hand Tablet PCs with full-fledged laptop capability and the same Wacom digitizer. If they could just get it down to $300, it could easily carve its own foothold in the media slate space.

As for developer support, one thing Samsung might have going for them with their S Pen SDK is that it also seems to benefit their other Wacom-less Galaxy devices to a lesser extent, like the Galaxy S III. It runs the same S Note app that the Galaxy Note smartphones do, with practically all the same features; it just doesn't have the accurate, pressure-sensitive, palm-rejecting pen hardware to work with.

8. LandSurveyor

With any luck, these oversized ( in our current thinking) devices will stick around. Remember when a 4" screened device was considered big? And nobody could imagine holding such a thing up fo his face while making a call?

And I just can't get away from the stylus paradigm. I've never used anything as sophisticated as a real digitizer but liked using sticks with all my Palm and WM devices and keep a double-ended resistive and capacitive stylus in my shirt pocket because I need it for both types of devices at work.

9. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I'd be interested in what you thought of the Note/Note II stylus and digitizer if you get to try one LS.I feel they are still too imprecise compared to my old resistive units...they have a kind of detached 'through software' feel to them that I really dislike

10. LandSurveyor

I really didn't get enough time with the Note II to get a feel for it but will certainly try one some more when I get a chance.

I still use resistive screen devices, primarily my Topcon GPS at work. I believe it's WM 6.1. It's not as sensitive as I would like, either. For pressing virtual buttons and operating sliders and such, it's fine but I don't think it would be all that great for something demanding, such as art.