Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Not to mention you are getting an Intel 877 processor on the Acer Chromebook which is used on the older Chrome books and is faster than the ARM chip on the Samsung. 877s are faster than any Atoms significantly, basically like i3s without the hyper threading. But the Samsung is much more likely to have longer battery life and much more interesting technically.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2

3. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

TANSTAAFL. All design involves compromise of some sort.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

4. LandSurveyor

Still, for 200 (or 250) bucks, this is a compelling alternative to either a Surface or a tablet/BT keyboard setup, cheap enough that it can easily be replaced plus you won't lose any of your data.

You just have to be willing to put up with its cloud-dependency.

5. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

You don't have to. If I bought one, I would wipe it and install Linux, probably Debian, which has a version for almost any CPU, including ARM.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

6. LandSurveyor

Already doing something similar with an old Dell XP laptop. I'm using Mint but still run into snags because Linux still requires more nuts & bolts knowledge than I have time to acquire. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother to consider anything else.

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Well, yesterday I took the chance and ordered one. I think I have a hardware issue with my main laptop - so I'm backing up files before the bluescreen of death comes up. But it was the excuse I needed to order the Acer C7 and to explore Chrome apps and to see if I can make the switch. I'm thinking on things that I need to use Windows for - I can use Splashtop from my TouchPad to access office and home computers and to do my work that Chrome doesn't allow me to do. I've been told that Chrome also has an app to log onto other running computers too.

Anyway - with Christmas coming and my laptop acting up - the Mrs. bought into it and said that my Christmas is now taken care of!

It should be here in a couple of days - I'll report more on it after it comes!

-- Sent from my TouchPad

8. LandSurveyor

Great! I'll be most interested to read your impressions,

9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Reports have that once the Chromebooks were priced $250 (Samsung) and $199 (Acer C7) they were selling out quickly. The last time I checked Amazon they were sold out.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

10. LandSurveyor

It can only be temporary. Google is advertising it heavily on television now.

I can't seem to get off the fence on this one. I still have reservations about the cloud, I don't know if they have all the apps I need, and I still need an optical drive and considerable onboard memory. Still, the trouble-free aspects of it are very compelling.