Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Again, I think we'll see that. A lot of it is probably due to costs (screen prices haven't come down as fast as I thought they might); and I think supplies are tight. When that situation loosens up, you might see what you want: bigger screens and more power.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I've been doing some looking around online. It can be confusing. There's a Chrome app that is designed to rip music and translate it into any of several formats. Then I go to a Chrome forum and the consensus is that you really don't want Chrome for that task. They point people to Mac or MS.

Looking at the available apps and several other things I've read, it almost seems that Chrome is a low-priority project for Google. You would think that will all the effort they've put into it lately, it would be farther up the list.

3. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Chrome is a very high priority project with Google. The problem is trying to find a place with ChromeOS. Having said that the reports I hear about its usage has been very positive. Personally I think Google needs to put Chromebooks on their Google Play market page where they are selling the Nexii.

For you LS, given your usage, you probably need a Windows 7 PC as a base hub to generate, process, manage and store your content, then a mobile device (tablet or smartphone) to handle most of everything else on the move.

4. LandSurveyor

I suspect that's the way it will go. I just want to take a close look at the alternatives. It seems that it's more common now to go with a lighter machine for a primary computing device. From what I've seen so far, that doesn't seem to be the correct fit for me.

Netbooks don't seem to have taken over by any means but there are ultrabooks and tablets and we are on the brink of having all sorts of hybrid devices available.

In my case it may be that it doesn't work because I cling to older tech like CDs as opposed to downloading music. I also think of my computer as my primary storage for my data. For better or worse, others may choose the cloud.. I see it as a possible backup only and still have reservations about privacy.

Based on what we've seen in the past, the manufacturers will see what meets with the greatest market acceptance and produce that while obsoleting the previous paradigm, even though it may still be perfectly viable. We have all had favorite devices in the past that got orphaned.

For now, I'll have a choice. If there's a shakeout, the choices will be more restricted.

It's an interesting time.

5. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

You can set your mobile device as your primary cloud and computing device. But you will still need a PC as a content management and storage facility. I am sort of that way, but my solutions are hybrid. I have both local storage and cloud storage. There are advantages and disadvantages on both, which is why I use both to cover up the failings of each other. My PC is also, at least, intended to be, a gaming machine, Mobile type games don't really interest compared to the large, complex virtual world type games only a PC or console can manage. For content consumption, my smartphones play my music now, my PC stores them. For video, its either my PCs, tablets or game consoles, which ever is more convenient for me at the moment. For social networking however, I prefer to use mobile as in both smartphone and tablet, on Facebook and Twitter, both PC and mobile on Google+. For news, I can do both phone, tablet and PC. For document production, you simply have to use a PC, whether you are using Microsoft Office or Google Docs.

Spoke too soon. The new Chromebook is now on Google Play.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

ARM-powered Chromebook lands at Play store for $249 -- Engadget

Do you have a direct line to google going? Would you mind asking them for a good Nexus mini pro?

Edit:

Opps. Didn't see that. Still, ask about the NMP.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  7. LandSurveyor

At present, I only depend on the cloud to keep my contacts and appointments. It works pretty well and I like that it shares between my phone, computer and tablet. I can see keeping some documents there and would like to store more photos but that could soon become a pretty huge amount. For now it seems better to just keep that stuff at home and back it up. As to music, I keep it on my computer so I can transfer it to whatever mobile device I have. My stack of CDs are my archive.

Still, the temptations of a "no problems" device remain. One wonders if Google can really make this so.

8. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Oops. Sold out. Its now on notification basis.

9. LandSurveyor

Just got an email from PC Mall advertising that the new Chromebook can be preordered through them. Oddly enough, I tried to get the web version of the page and it was unavailable.

10. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Just saw The Verge log some Sunspider benchmarks off the new Samsung Chromebook. 705ms beats the holy crap out of Atom and low end AMD devices. Atom and Celerons powered the Chromebooks as well as the staple for the general netbook population. Heck that is double of quadcore Cortex A9s and dual Qualcomm Krait cores. It is also significantly faster by more than 200ms off the Apple A6. This is a record for an ARM powered device. That is with the Exynos 5 processor with dual Cortex A15 cores.