Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Frankly, I would love to see a real laptop-style Android device: something with a 13" screen, full size keyboard, and maybe a 100 GB solid state drive. That would be a hell of an ultra-book type device.

jigwashere likes this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

It would help if Android could multitask.

Mi An likes this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

If the market turns out to have any interest in Windows RT laptops (the Lenovo IdeaTab Yoga 11 is an honest-to-goodness laptop, albeit a folding convertible with a touchscreen, running a Tegra 3 processor), I expect Android devices will follow suit because it can offer similar hardware at a cheaper price point.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I agree that is a better all-around computer than a Chromebook. If Chrome is to achieve any success, Google is going to have to give it more than a token ability to operate offline.

I don't know who the target market is but for me the appeal goes something like this:
    I need to buy a new computer. I'm a Windows person and find it easy to use but I don't look forward to my computer inevitably slowing down as it gets loaded with malware. Antivirus software seems to do only so much. Right now I use Linux but there are just so many things about Linux that require more programming knowledge than I have time to acquire.

An uncomplicated device that requires little maintenance has a definite appeal. I believe Chromebooks now have 100 gig of cloud drive. Don't know how much additional space will cost but the idea that I could lose my device and still have access to all my photos, data and "stuff" has its appeal also.

5. LandSurveyor

Asus has just announced a new ultrabook with yet another way of converting between tablet and laptop modes - two displays, one inside and another out. I believe it's called Taichi.

Does it seem to anybody else that a 10" Android tablet coupled with an attachable keyboard competes with any Chromebook? And since I ask the question, what can Chrome OS do that Android cannot? Don't some of these Android tablets actually include a Chrome browser anyway?

6. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Chromebook is kind of the same vein as the Kindle tablets. Its also a kind of curated computing, albeit in a different way. It is meant to do a few things, and do them very well, and filter the rest out. An Android tablet converted to an ultrabook with a keyboard dock is an all around computer, comes complete even with the ability to handle external drives. But its not "curated computing". Still people do wonder but I do hear a lot of good things about Chromebooks, mostly I mean.

Android tablets from 4.0 and on, can either have Chrome as a built in or installed from the Play market. But you know, the default system browser of Ice Cream Sandwich does have Google account login and will already sync to your desktop Chrome browser. IMO, the justification for using Chromebook is when you're already a heavy Chrome user with all sorts of extensions, and heavily using Google apps, most especially Google Drive aka Docs.

If the device is around $400 I won't give it a second look. Around $250 most certainly. Especially because this has the fifth generation Exynos processor. The ones on the S3 and Note 2 are still the 4th generation. This is also the first device in the world to go commercial with the Cortex A15 core. That''s going to be faster than the Qualcomm Krait core, probably faster the Apple A6 core. But I am kind of surprised that Google has ChromeOS running on an ARM processor. i thought the ARM vs. Intel thing is the dividing line between Android and ChromeOS. Equally surprised that Samsung would debut this processor on a Chromebook. I was and still expecting it for the Nexus 10.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Windows RT would be perfect for you. It offers all the stability and security of a locked-down ecosystem (think iOS) but all the functionality most non-tech-oriented laypeople want from a home computer (i.e., Microsoft Office plus web browser plus apps (from the Windows Marketplace only, a highly-controlled app store along the lines of Apple's App Store), including desktop mode for MS Office and Internet Explorer so you can manage multiple windows at once). Right now Lenovo is the only company offering Windows RT in a laptop instead of a traditional tablet, but I think the OS has a lot of potential for people who want a novice-friendly, "idiot-proof," totally-secure desktop or laptop OS.

But they've got to fix the price point. At $800 for the cheapest Windows RT laptop, it's beyond what most people want to pay. Admittedly that price includes an IPS screen and Microsoft Office (bundled with all RT devices), but still, I'd rather see a $500 price point for something with "Windows Lite."

The TaiChi is a $1200 ultrabook with an Ivy Bridge processor and the full version of Windows 8. Different price point and performance envelope.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  8. LandSurveyor

Wow! That would explain why adding a second display wasn't considered a big deal, I guess. Definitely a premium device.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Adama, we practically have that already (except for Jig's multitasking, which is a good point, but probably not far away). Just slip in a high-capacity SD card and you're nearly there.

10. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

True, but the Transformers are still based on a tablet-centric design, with the 10" screen and removable keyboard... I'd like to see someone experiment with something even bigger and more powerful.