Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

When you forget which addons you have enabled in which Google Organizational Units (OU), and you move your account from one OU to the next, and suddenly your mandatory web filter addon is blacklisted and removed from your account and can't be re-enabled. (We have all addons blacklisted, and we whitelist allow or whitelist force addons to various groups of users, such as teachers, students, administration, etc.)

Queue panic attack as I thought our web filtering just broke for the entire district. *clutches heart*

Is it Friday afternoon yet? :eek:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

no sir, but we're working on it
    upload_2021-9-23_10-18-51.png

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I decided against a Chromebook and went with a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 with Win10 Pro. I enjoyed my Chromebook, but I felt that Windows laptop fit my needs better. In fact, I'm in the process of moving my old desktop PC to the basement where I'll mainly use it for data storage and backups, as well as a Plex server.

I have a work-issued docking station for my work laptop. It's hooked up to my monitors, keyboard and mouse. All I have to do is unplug my work laptop and plug in my personal laptop and I'm good to go at my desk. Then, just unplug and go portable. :)

The X1 Carbon dimensions and weight aren't too different from the Toshiba Chromebook 2. The screen is nicer, though. It's a 14" screen with a 19:10 aspect ratio, which is pretty nice. I never had any complaints about the TC2 keyboard, but the X1 is quite a bit better. The X1 has the classic ThinkPad "eraserhead" TrackPoint which is reminiscent of my 1994 Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop. I liked it back in the 90's, so looked forward to trying it out, but the touchpad is so nice that I doubt I'll use it. We'll see.

Goodbye, Chromebook! It was nice while it lasted. :newpalm:

4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Wooooowwwwwwww! It would be very difficult for me to be without a Chromebook! I think except for texting (which I actually do on my Chromebook but still requires going through my phone), I could do without my phone before I could do without my Chromebook.

Of course, you know what that means, right? Yep, Google is about to completely discontinue the project any day now, because my attention to an electronic product is a certain, impending death for it.

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

It's far more advantageous for me to use a full fledged computer, with Chrome on it, over a Chromebook. YMMV. I do too many windows things, and software things that a Chromebook just can't hack. That's me though. :)

6. internetpilot

Well, I do have an Asus ROG gaming laptop and a custom built desktop that I originally built for gaming, but then got the laptop, so I refocused the desktop on video/photo editing. It also handles my Plex server, my son's 2-3 Minecraft servers, backups of all data from all PCs in the house, and used to run most of my house security/automation before I moved all that to Google Home. All that being said, I go days sometimes weeks without sitting in front of either the laptop or desktop, but I typically use the Chromebook several hours per day. When I travel (which is rare these days) I only bring the Chromebook with me. There are also frequent times that I use Chrome Remote Desktop on the Chromebook to remote in to my desktop when I need a full computer to do something and simply cannot be bothered to get up off the family room sofa and walk ALL THE WAY over to the home office. See, I'm getting tired just thinking about all that walking.

Basically, Chromebooks replaced the Android tablet in my arsenal of devices, but then added many more features, capabilities, and conveniences than I ever had with any tablet. As I mentioned above, we're pretty much a Google controlled house so there are a lot of Google Home related things that I can do on the Chromebook, but can't do on a PC. My security cameras, Google Nest Hello doorbell, etc., run great on my Chromebook, but aren't so great (if at all) on my PCs.

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Jig, I think that's a good move. I never fully bought into the Chromebook thing. I'm sure there are good ones, but I've already mentioned a few of the many stories I've heard of people's issues with them. The dilemma I think is that the lower end Chromebooks aren't very good or capable, while the higher end one let you do more, but at that point, why not get a laptop? I can recall some of the prices people here paid for Chromebooks, for which you could get a very good laptop.

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  8. internetpilot

I think the problem with Chromebooks in the industry is that they (sorry) basically sucked when they were first introduced. Then just like what happened with Android at first, the market was flooded with low-end hardware products and now (hence the title of this thread?) most people are like, "Wow, there are still Chromebooks?"

Despite this reputation, the mid-range Chromebooks are actually excellent, very capable devices. My Lenovo Flex 5 has an Intel Core i3 10th gen processor and just about everything I do on this thing is instantaneous. At a $375-425 pricetag (depending on how many container ships were able to dock that particular week :rolleyes:), it's a screamer of a Chromebook, but you're not getting a very good laptop for that price. Honestly, I don't know what Google, Samsung, and even Lenovo are thinking putting out > $1000 Chromebooks with Core i5 and even i7 processors. ChromeOS can't even take full advantage of those processors. I think the Intel i3 processors (as well as the AMD equivalent) should be the high end for Chromebooks, and that would allow for a much more reasonable pricetag for even the high end Chromebook category.

Now, that being said, I actually do a LOT more on my Chromebook than I do on my laptop/desktop now, so it really shouldn't be that unusual that a high end Chromebook should cost more than (or as much as) a laptop.