Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - when I first set up my Toshiba Chromebook 2 with my Moto Stylus it seemed like Google wanted to sync my phone with the Chromebook as you described. I didn't see the benefit for me & chose to ignore the process.

I use MightyText on my tablets, Chromebooks & Windows to handle texts off from my phone.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  2. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

I've been experimenting with refurbishing old laptops with Linux, and noticed that the low spec machines act rather strange. They run it fine at first but get bogged down and unstable. Lost some money since I was going to resell some of them but not if i'm not happy with how they are acting - so can't in good faith sell em. 512 Ram is way too low, even for Lubuntu. Peppermint Linux might be worth a try - it's somewhat Chromebook like but runs fast on lower hardware - and it has Linux driver support.
    As far as Chromebooks go, they are a bit limited in the connectivity department since they don't have the drivers that Windows or Linux has available.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    scjjtt likes this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Can your TC2 run Android apps or is too long in the tooth for that? If so, you can just run Google Messages on it and it's just like your phone except now you have a nice keyboard. I'm actually thinking about disconnecting the phone notifications on my Chromebook. I haven't really found it that useful, especially when some of those notifications come from apps that I don't have installed (or can't be installed) on my Chromebook's Android so it's not like the app can open if I click on them. I still have to get up off my duff and go grab my phone, so...again...not very useful for me.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My TC2 doesn't run Android apps.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. scjjtt

IP & Jig - my TC2 does run at least 1 Android App - the only one I've tried - my PocketBible.

Maybe later today I'll try another App like Calengoo - I use that one a lot.

IP - I don't use Google Messenger because the last I checked I couldn't use my Google Groups that I have set up through Google Contacts. I use Textra as my texting App.

jigwashere and internetpilot like this.
  6. scjjtt

I was able to install Calengoo and Tapatalk on my TC2. Both seem to be working fine...

I guess I'm a little late to the party with this Chromebook since I've received the last automatic software and security update for this Chromebook...

Sent from my Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015 Edition) using Tapatalk

jigwashere likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You must have the 2015 TC2.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. scjjtt

Yes, I do...

jigwashere likes this.
  9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Calengoo -- there's an app I haven't actively used for a while now! I remember it was a HIGHLY important app to me at one time, especially when switching from my Palm Treo to my first Android phone and Pimlical (another app that was HIGHLY important to me during my Palm days) wasn't quite ready for primetime on Android yet. The Calengoo dev really came through for us early Palm to Android converts. I even used it as an alarm clock when Google poorly introduced "doze" into (I believe) Marshmallow and it broke all 3rd-party alarm clock apps. After screwing over my whole household with not waking us up too many times, to this day I still don't use 3rd-party alarm clocks. I'm currently using the stock Google Clock (which has come a LONG way) for alarms. And speaking of coming a long way, the "stock" Google Calendar app is actually pretty darn nice now, too!

I've actually found no real rhyme or reason for why some Android apps are "incompatible" with my Chromebook's Android. I've been both surprised by which ones will and won't work. Thankfully, most of the ones that are important to me seem to work. There are a couple that I wish would work.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Here's part of an article from today's paper that supports your plan:

scjjtt likes this.