Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm so sorry for your loss, ip. I remember when you purchased that. I was astonished at the great deal you managed to get. I would've gotten one at that price. Best wishes as you transition to the next device!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I actually found that as well, but although mine is a CP315, I don't think the rest of the model number matched. The only way to verify if it would work is to disassemble the screen which would most likely break it the rest of the way. It's still very usable now, so I don't want to risk it unless I know for sure it would work.

4. internetpilot

It was a fantastic deal. I actually tried to buy another one within a couple/few weeks of buying the first one, but Best Buy claimed it was out of stock and didn't know when or if it would ever be back in stock. However, they had already re-listed the exact same item for like $150 more. Jerks.

I'm actually really happy with this Lenovo Flex 5. I'm mostly bummed that it wasn't as good of a deal (I'm such a cheapo) and I really like keeping my devices for a ridiculously long time. Again, the screen isn't that much smaller (since it's a diagonal measurement and the bezels are smaller). Back when I bought the Acer, Lenovo didn't offer a backlit keyboard or front facing speakers. I also don't think they offered a 2-in-1 model. Lenovo seems to be taking over the lower/mid-priced Chromebook market now though. This i3 processor runs Android and Linux (Crostini) apps incredibly quick. They really seem like native Chrome apps. Incidentally, Minecraft runs very well via Crostini on this device as well -- quick startup time, no lag, fancy graphics, etc.

There is another Acer Chromebook that I'd love to get and it's actually a pretty good price for the specs (but more than I want to spend on a Chromebook and a little overpowered/featured for a Chromebook in my opinion) and that's the Acer Spin 713 2-in-1 13.5" 2K touch display, Intel i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD (that can actually be upgraded to a 256GB SSD) for $629. That's over double the price of my first Acer, but those specs...that's a very respectable Windows laptop -- it's a ridiculous high end Chromebook.

Funny thing -- Lenovo owns Motorola, so now my Chromebook and phone are basically the same brand.

5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - maybe you are already doing this - but if I had a screen do that I would just leave the screen up, on my desk, to be used whenever I sat down, much like a deshtop. I wouldn't risk opening & closing it & use the new Lenovo Chromebook as a portable.

My first tablet was a Lenovo - it was a great value & still works & I like it in many ways over my new Samsung tablet.

I really like what Lenovo/Motorola is doing. I like great values & it seems like they are doing that. I'm very happy with my Moto G Stylus phone, especially for the price!

Enjoy your new Chromebook.

As I write this - an old childhood song comes to mind that could easily be sung in rounds - I think it is very appropriate for this discussion...

"Make new friends but keep the old - one is silver and the other's gold."

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

6. internetpilot

What is it with me and Chromebooks? The Lenovo Flex 5 that I just bought a couple of weeks ago already went up in price almost $200. Anyone have any other electronic device that they want to see a huge price increase on? Just let me know and I'll buy it.

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 3 others like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

No, but does it work for stocks? I've got a few I'd like to see jump...

Seriously though, that's pretty weird given the percentage increase. That said, all of those figures are pricey in my opinion for a Chromebook. A lot of it is the SSD I'd imagine (and the processor).

8. internetpilot

This Chromebook is doing better than my stocks. It's up to a $300 price increase now. Who wants to bet the price will double?

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My Toshiba Chromebook 2 constantly notifies me that EOL is 9/21. While I'm not happy about it, I'm pretty sure I want to replace it with another Chromebook. No hurry -- maybe Cyber Monday this Fall? :)

10. internetpilot

Just for kicks I check out the Chromebooks from time to time and they really seem to be taking over. Before I would have to wade through a bunch of low end Windows laptops to find a meager few Chromebooks. Now it's the opposite.

I just got some kind of big update on my Lenovo Flex 5 Chromebook. It now has a bunch of connected phone functions including viewing the notifications on my phone via my Chromebook, etc. It's pretty slick and my Lenovo Chromebooks works very well with my Lenovo Moto G Stylus phone.