Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Chrome OS will soon be able to run Android apps in the background
    [​IMG]

One of the biggest shortcomings of Chrome OS, and a drawback to using a mobile and web-first operating system, is applications that don’t act like desktop software should. Google is working to remedy this, according to 9to5Google, with an upcoming update to Chrome OS that should make Android apps run smoothly in the background. Currently, these apps — part of Google’s broader push to unify certain aspects of Android and Chrome — will pause if you switch away from them, creating some issues for people who like to heavily multitask on desktop.

ChromeUnboxed first noticed the feature, called Android Parallel Tasks, within Chrome OS 64, which is currently only available on Google’s beta channel. We can expect the feature to make its way to the public version of Chrome OS some time in the near future, but it’s not clear exactly when. Still, it’s refreshing to see that Google is taking steps to make Android apps on Chrome OS more robust and desktop-like, especially after the buggy beta period earlier this year.

RickAgresta, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Exactly that, Jig. That's one of the big shortcomings of Android on ChromeOS. This isn't the day of Palm OS, where the OS was largely single task. It's 2017. Get multitasking already....

3. jigwashere

If my math is right, I've had my Toshiba Chromebook 2 for 4 years, now. I don't use it every day, but it does come in handy. The screen is as sharp and bright as ever, and it seems to run as good as new. A distant relative of my wife visited this past summer and needed a laptop, and I felt comfortable handing it to him in guest mode. He wasn't very technically savvy, but seemed to manage it just fine. My son is taking an online Spanish course in high school, and was frustrated with the slowness of the school's hampered Chromebooks. He considered taking his own laptop to school, but I didn't want him to risk that. I simply powerwashed my Chromebook and handed it to him. He was up and running in no time. I can't wait to get it back! :D

Mi An, scjjtt, headcronie and 3 others like this.
  4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I just finally jumped on the Chromebook bandwagon myself right before Thanksgiving. I got a Acer CP315 Spin 2-in1 with 4/64gb for $250. I immediately enabled Crostini on it, and then after discovering some minor limitations with it, shortly after I dual booted it with Linux. I don't think I've actually touched my desktop PC, gaming laptop, or Android tablet in well over a month now. I truly love this thing and it is probably my all-time fav electronic device that I've owned.

Actually, I have touched my desktop PC, but it was through Chrome Remote Desktop by way of my ChromeBook. ;)

I was cringing when I had to powerwash it to put it in developer mode to dual boot it with Linux, but the whole process was just incredibly smooth. Literally everything restored on its own (including all my Android and Crostini apps). I haven't even had a phone restore this easily.

5. jigwashere

That's an amazing price for that Chromebook! Congratulations. I'm so glad you like it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt, internetpilot, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

How on earth did you get that Chromebook for $250? Refurbished models tend to be around $300.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

And this one isn't refurbished. Honestly, I think it was a pricing error. I went in to Best Buy (aka Worst Buy) to get a hands-on look at the current Chromebooks. Of course, the main one I was interested in (the one I ultimately bought) they didn't have on display or even stocked at the Chromebook kiosk -- they only had it in the back warehouse and the otherwise annoyingly pushy salesman didn't want to go get it. Instead, he kept strongly pushing a ridiculously overpriced/underfeatured Lenovo Chromebook on me. So, that really annoyed me and I left without buying anything with the intention of going over to Target and just buying it there. But I noticed the model at Target was only 32GB of storage and I think less RAM, too. I went on my phone to verify that the model at Best Buy was 4/64GB, and then I noticed it was $259 at Best Buy and the lesser model was $325 at Target. So, standing in Target I used my phone to buy it at Best Buy with free store pickup.

A few days later I went on the Best Buy site to post a review about it, and they said that it was out of stock and that Best Buy no longer carried this product (???). I was thinking, of course -- because I always buy an electronic device as it's going out of production...haha. But then just the other day I went on the Best Buy website to see if there was newer replacement model to mine, and my exact same model was back available, but it's now $369. It's also a different Best Buy item number, but it's still the exact same Acer model number.

Now I wish I'd bought two.

8. jigwashere

That's my favorite kind of bedtime story! :newpalm: It might not have been a pricing error. Back in ancient times, I bought my Acer netbook on special from Best Buy. It was more expensive elsewhere, and Best Buy did not carry it as a regular item.

My Toshiba Chromebook 2 is still going strong, except my son has it under his control at the moment. I'll likely get it back when his online class ends in a few weeks and I'll stop Chromebook shopping.

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

speaking of shopping...but I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start a new one somewhere :vbrolleyes:

internetpilot, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  10. jigwashere

Here's an updated EOL policy page from Google: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

My Toshiba Chromebook 2 EOL has been extended from 9/2019 to 6/2020. :newpalm:

My Toshiba Chromebook 2 has been amazing and is still going strong. Every now and then I do a little dreaming about replacing it, but I just don't see a compelling reason just yet. This does just about everything I need and I don't think a newer chromebook would offer much more.

scjjtt and headcronie like this.