Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

You phrased that well. I think it bears noting that this is not just "evil" developers (e.g., hackers), but enterprises that feel it's okay to gather data about us without our knowledge or permission. It's bad enough they do that, but then they often fail to adequately protect the sensitive data they gather.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

DIYD,DIYD…:vbfrown:

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

All based on your tolerance level. However, do know that they keep encroaching on your privacy, and pushing the limit further and further, making you numb to the fact that they are violating every last bit of your privacy.

I'm a holdout. I keep as much of my data on my own hardware, and off the cloud as possible. Not a perfect solution, but as of right now, I own the data. I can take it completely offline, and nobody can get it, nobody can do anything with it, but me. That also means I'm fully responsible for the integrity and backup of all my data. If I fail to do that, I've nobody to go to for help. I'd rather take that risk, than have my data out in the cloud. Granted, I can't keep all my data out of the cloud. Contacts, calendar, and email... trying to keep that local is just not practical. But the rest... that's for me to know, and for you to keep your hands off. :D

4. jigwashere

headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I snagged my in-laws a set of Amazon Fire tablets. For the minimal stuff they do, like checking Facebook, and reading emails, that fits the bill. Only issue I've had is they occasionally manage to shut of wifi, and all of a sudden 'Facebook won't update'. :D It's passable for their consumption needs, but severely lacks for when they want to input data. They have a computer for that. One of the two is reported to not let the other on it very often though. I take that with a grain of salt. I've no evidence one way or the other. :)

Hook, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Found a good write up on Chromebooks and Tablets:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/30/wanted-best-tablets-chromebooks-can-buy/

In that article they really spoke high of the Asus C101. It is a Flipbook and runs now around $250. There is a full review of it:

ASUS Chromebook Flip C101PA review: The best 10" Chromebook you can buy is also a good Android tablet
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...-chromebook-can-buy-also-good-android-tablet/

After reading the review it sounds like this Chromebook would be a better choice for me than the discounted Asus 100 that I saw a month ago.

Here's the conclusion of the end of the review:

"And if you're looking for a 10" Chromebook, the C101 is the device to beat, period. Even if the touchscreen and Android apps don't interest you, the performance and build quality of this latest Chromebook Flip tops the entire sub-12" category. Without stepping up to something larger, like the Samsung Chromebook Plus/Pro or Google's latest Pixelbook, you can't really beat the C101."

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

7. jigwashere

I would be more interested in a 13" Chromebook, similar in size to what I have now, since it would fill the gap between my smartphone and desktop PC. I know they say a 13" Flipbook doesn't really make for a great tablet experience, but I don't think it would bother me.

8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Both my Tablet and Chromebook are around the 10 inch size - so that would work for me. I want portability...

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

9. jigwashere

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    lelisa13p, scjjtt, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I played around with its little sibling the Acer R11 and it felt surprisingly high-quality. I normally don't have a good brand impression of Acer, but the R11 had a better-feeling keyboard to me and a more solid-feeling case (albeit plastic instead of aluminum) than the Samsung Chromebook Plus that cost nearly twice as much.

jigwashere, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.