Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I've got it on my work issued (and physically busted) Lenovo N22. It's pretty crappy as of right now. Android apps may launch, but many of them do not function as you would expect. I use Fing for work all the time. It launches, but is utterly useless on a Chromebook. I use Wifi Analyzer too. Last I recollect, that too was pretty worthless. Apps that require location services (Radar Now), will complain it isn't turned on. Even when it is turned on. Granted the N22 does not have GPS, but it has network awareness, but still..

It's not what I was hoping for, and honestly, I don't give it any thought at the moment. I don't use my chromebook, and can say without a doubt that Android App usage is hit or miss, with most of it as miss.

2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I just bought a Pixelbook. It's a great computer by any measure, and it runs Android apps from the Play Store just as if they were ChromeOS apps. Some apps aren't yet optimized for the big screen, and don't resize the fonts, but that's a fault of the app, not the OS.

RickAgresta, Mitlov, Hook and 3 others like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

We're waiting for a review!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Hook, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Wait. I thought that was the review. :vbconfused: :vbwink:

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Feedback like this is really helpful, thanks. When ChromeOS runs Android apps in a smooth and stable fashion, I'll pick up a ChromeOS 2-in-1, probably in the 11" range, to fill the role I'm currently using an iPad-plus-keyboard-folio for (light simple and unobtrusive note-taking device in meetings, when my Alienware 13 is bigger and bulkier than I want). But I have no interest in paying to be a beta-tester. The vision is where I want it to be, but the execution clearly isn't yet.

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I agree with your sentiment about not wanting to be a beta tester. I'm curious what Chromebook is missing that you find you need on Android. I wish my Chromebook had GPS and DroidTV, but off the top of my head, I can't think of anything else I do on my Android phone that I can't do on my old Chromebook. In fact, most of what I do on my smartphone syncs with the cloud so I can move between my Windows 10 desktop PC, Chromebook and smartphone (e.g., Chrome bookmarks and tabs, email, RSS feeds and Pocket reader, OneNote, etc.).

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The Android apps I’d want to be totally stable and usable on a Chromebook before I buy a new Chromebook are:

1. MS Office (for when I want to take notes or edit documents but don’t have an internet connection)

2. Google Play Music (for downloading music for offline playback)

3. Netflix (for downloading videos for offline playback)

4. Amazon Prime (for downloading videos for offline playback)

Those are the four things where the traditional ChromeOS setup doesn’t match what I want my device to do.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  8. jigwashere

That makes a lot of sense. According to a June howtogeek article (The Best Android Apps You Should be Using On Your Chromebook), MS Office and Google Play Music should work well, but I don't know about Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I previously complained about having a good file manager on my Chromebook, wishing I could use one from Android, but I haven't needed it lately. My Toshiba Chromebook 2 might be a bit underpowered to support decent file transfer speeds, too.

I'm not anxious to get a new Chromebook, but Android app availability/stability would be nice. I'm thinking about getting a Chromebook for my parents, and I appreciate you bringing up these kinds of issues.

Mitlov, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  9. jigwashere

This just in: https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/11/27/google-chromebook-microsoft-office/
    Microsoft Office is now available for all Chromebooks
    It took its sweet time, but Microsoft Office for Android is now available on all Play Store-compatible Chromebooks, according to Chrome Unboxed. The software's convoluted journey en route to Google's laptops is well documented. As a recap, when Android app support arrived on Chrome OS over a year ago, Microsoft's Office Suite apps were (naturally) among the first reviewers -- including Computerworld -- downloaded on compatible devices, such as the latest Pixelbook and the Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA. And, everybody just (incorrectly) assumed they'd also be available on other Play Store-supported Chromebooks too. Boy, was everyone wrong.

Instead, Office Suite wound up on select devices, while leaving others in the cold. The situation went on (and on) that way for an age. But, the wait is finally over, with Office downloadable for all Chromebooks. Of course, that's great news for those who use the laptops for work or school, which likely amounts to a lot of people.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I'm still kicking myself for not taking advantage of this from Woot on 10/24/17

...''on Woot, you can grab refurb’ed ASUS Chromebook Flip C100 for only $149.99 with $5 shipping. That’s about $130 cheaper than new listings on Amazon''

https://www.androidauthority.com/asus-chromebook-flip-c100-sale-810656/

A Chromebook Flip will probably be my next purchase. My Chromebook, Acer C7 320 GB drive, is now 4 years old. It runs fast & has been one of my best values at $199 but I wish I had access to some Android Apps that I have with my 2 year old Lenovo Tab 2 A10 32 GB.

I guess kicking myself for not buying that Flipbook but it hurts less than Mrs scjjtt kicking me for getting it!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    jigwashere and Hook like this.