Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 24, 2012.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Although the ol' HP14 is still holding up pretty well, I've been looking down the road and trying to pay attention to the newer models to spot a possible replacement. All the excitement these days is centered on "flips", detachable keyboards, etc. And most of them are the small, 11" screen models.

The fewer larger models that exist are always mid- to lower-priced models. I suppose I'm just doomed to always be hopelessly stuck on the last paradigm. :(

2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

There are new models of the HP 14 that is available. Plus Acer has a metal bodied Chromebook 14 introduced last year.

And now, there is a new Acer Chromebook 15 in metal.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/08/30/acer-reveals-new-metal-chromebook-15-support-android-apps/

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. LandSurveyor

Sounds good, with some reservations about the processor.

I would prefer to get the maxed-out version but the starting price alone is pretty high.

And, as others have often said, It's a lot to pay for a device that basically accesses the internet and isn't capable of much else. Then again, that's all I use a home computer for.

I do like the larger screen. Since mine seldom leaves home, large size is a good thing and I don't have to make sacrifices for portability. I don't even miss the keypad.

Will have to check into the newer HP14s.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. LandSurveyor

OOh. Acer has a backlit keyboard. The premium doesn't look so bad now.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

My son bought a Toshiba Chromebook 2, 13.3", Intel Celeron 3215U, 4GB RAM, 16GB SSD (Certified Refurbished) from Amazon last September & then one for his bride to be (at that time, now wife) at Christmas. They love the back light keyboards!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

2nd and 3rd year of Chromebooks starts on Tuesday. Added into the mix, the entire Freshman class has been issued a Lenovo N23 Chromebook for this year. The N23 looks to be a bit better built that the N21 and N22. Chassis is slightly different, and the device seams look considerably better. It will be interesting to see what they look like as the year progresses, and at the end of the school year.

I expect I'll be busy with these things...

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

well, yeah, but less chance of falling asleep at your desk, bored out of your mind, and then waking up when your face hits the keyboard...
    im-just-sayingSMALLer.jpeg

8. headcronie

I was at my desk no more than an hour today. I was sleep-walking by the end of the day. Dang smartboard issues aplenty.

I suspect the N23 is unfortunately built with the same horrendously built keyboards as the N22. If not the same, then the same cheap manufacturing process. Day #2 and already shipping one back in with identical issues as the N22 was plagued with. Keys simply don't work.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

sorry to hear that, hc; sure doesn't make things easier for you or the users.

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  10. headcronie

Ultimately, it is the end users that suffer. It is no skin off my back if they break. It keeps me busy and provides gainful employment. I don't use a CB in any sort of work, so I am not impacted. I do hate to see wasteful spending, but as I mentioned earlier, that is nothing I have to deal with. They were warned. It is documented. :)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.