What widgets do you use on your home screen?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, May 12, 2020.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Interesting. I've always liked button navigation. I was sad to see hardware buttons vanish. Seems like a waste to have software buttons hogging the screen. Ah well, as with all things, change is inevitable. Guess I'll figure out what I want when the time comes. :)

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

This is how I used to do it on Nova Launcher, except that I created a direct dial per person per country, i.e. Mrs R Colombia, Mrs R Ecuador, etc. It soon got awkward (too many shortcuts per person), so I replaced all direct dials wit shortcuts to the contacts, where I can pick the number to call based on the country where I am at the moment.

I don't miss Android 10's navigation gestures. Never used them. I only learned that Android 10's gestures didn't support 3rd-party launchers when I read an article about that :D. The S10 series have their own navigation gestures, but I keep them disabled on my phone because I prefer to use the nav buttons. I used to miss the hardware buttons, but the edge-to-edge screens look so good that I don't miss them anymore.

Right now I only have four widgets on my main home screen:

Screenshot_20200513-111313_Nova Launcher.jpg

The two clocks are from the Simple World Clock Widget, the left one shows the time in Bolivia (GMT - 4), the right one the time in GMT - 5 time zone, which corresponds to Guayaquil, Medellin, and Quito. I can tap the left widget to go to its settings and change time zone to any other and make it "local time". I guess I should change the label from LPB (La Paz) to "Local" or some other thing for that to make sense. The right widget is set to launch Nova Launcher when tapping, which amounts to "do nothing". The center widget is from AccuWeather, showing weather wherever I am. Finally, at the bottom, on Nova's dock, there's a contact widget for Mrs. R.

I used to have a much larger, single clock in the center, using the widget from Seven Time, but I replaced it when I started switching time zones more frequently. Seven Time does have some nice clock designs. I even paid the premium package and enjoyed it for a time :). I may reinstall it if I redesign my home screen.

This is my second home screen:

Screenshot_20200513-112212_Nova Launcher.jpg

On the first row are folders with contact shortcuts. K is for plant workers and technicians, G is for company's geologists, O for office personnel, F for my family. The second row has the Google Maps location widgets for Mrs R, my daughter, and my son.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    scjjtt, headcronie and jigwashere like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yeah, that wallpaper's pretty good, too. :thumbsup:

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I love that wallpaper too. Very cool. I'm also intrigued by this thread and QF's talking about people using multiple browsers. I don't really do that and haven't seen the need. What am I missing? Also, HC how do you create that icon in the lower right for the multiple browsers? Is that function of your launcher or the phone software? I haven't seen that style of folder before.

5. headcronie

That was done inside of Nova Launcher. Just a folder on the bottom bar.

Samsung's OneUI will let you place folders on the bottom bar, but I don't recollect if you can turn on labels.

This is Samsung's OneUI of the same homescreen.[​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. headcronie

Why so many browsers? Ever want to browse or search without feeding every single thing you do to Google? Chrome is signed into Google. Firefox isn't. Firefox has extensions that no other Android browser does. RoboForm only signs into my financial accounts and bills. Boat browser does floating window. DuckDuckGo for when you want to search but not have your searches show up in advertisements. Firefox Focus for stopping trackers. Firefox Beta for adblocking and no tracking if the sites don't like Firefox Focus. Separation of accounts is a huge reason why. Samsung browser slurps your data just like Chrome does - I don't use it, plus it is annoying as $hit requesting to be default browser every time you use it. No way to stop it from asking.

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

hc, that is an exhaustingly :vbwink: well thought out strategy. :thumbsup: Impressive.

8. headcronie

I recently searched for images of cellos and acoustic guitars to use as filler background images in a video using Google. Google now thinks I am highly interested in these instruments. Now showing me news and articles about them in Google News. They couldn't be more wrong. That will teach me. *sigh*

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Kind of brusque but I get that HC, but Chrome isn't the only option anyway and I don't need or care about most of the rest of those things like floating windows etc. I really try to avoid doing too much financial stuff or other forms on phones for that very reason. I do get the security issues though and there are plenty of browser-independent solutions to that (or at least mostly)., On my laptop I need to find a new browser. Firefox is really forcing me to look elsewhere and I'm not sure where to go. I do use Chrome for a few limited things; but I don't love it. I think some people have forked the old pre-Quantum Firefox, so I may look there. I'm too lazy to switch around on a phone though since other than security, I don't care too much about those things.

I do love those folder icons on your Nova Launcher though.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. headcronie

Yep, I get that. That is one of the reasons any time I have to do financial info on there, it is browser based, not app based. Time after time, security issues are pointed out and users info is compromised. At least with the major browsers, they're patching on a regular basis. The apps... not so much.

After venturing back to OneUI just to grab that 2nd screenshot, I realize just how much I like Nova, and can't go back to Samsung's interface. I used to feel the other way around. Not anymore. :)

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.