What widgets do you use on your home screen?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, May 12, 2020.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I have 2 launcher screens. My home screen has the stock clock/weather widget. I've previously used 1weather, but didn't install it this go around. The rest of my home screen is a series of folders that organize my apps. My second launcher screen has a series of direct dial widgets for the people I call the most. The one thing I miss about Nova Launcher is the ability to configure my widgets. For direct dial widgets, I wish I could simply rename them, but I can't. That means, that I have one to call my dad at home and another to call his cell, but I can't differentiate between them. :(

I'm not big on other widgets, but I'm reconsidering that, hence this thread. :)

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Smooth Calendar, and Weatherbug. I have another homescreen page set to fullscreen calendar and one more screen set to quick dial contacts. I have been using Smooth Calendar since Froyo. Also a resized Google widget. Tap the G for news, tap the blank area for search, and tap the microphone for voice search.

[​IMG]

3. headcronie

You can edit names on direct dial widgets.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Oh, I also have a Tapatalk widget for Brighthand. I can't forget about that one!!

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Nice classic wallpaper! :newpalm:

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I can't edit names on direct dial widgets on my phone. I used to be able to do that.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

headcronie, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

So, you're not using Nova Launcher just now, right? In that case would adding a 2nd contact for your father, that has only one of the 2 numbers, be a work-around for renaming the direct dial, e.g., Dad@home and Dad@work?

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I thought of that, but I think I'd go back to Nova Launcher, first. ;) I'm willing to make a few compromises to use navigation gestures, but that would be one too many. I don't want to start creating new contacts just to separate out phone numbers for people. I'm not an advanced Nova Launcher user, but there were a few things I really liked about it. I appreciated the look. I used gestures on folders to open certain apps, I'd create a few system shortcuts, and I liked being able to rename those shortcut widgets. For now, I simply put Dad's mobile number on the bottom left side of the screen and my parents home number on the bottom right. I'll have to allocate a few brain cells to remember this, I suppose. :rolleyes:

COME ON, GOOGLE! Open up 3rd party launcher support!!!

9. headcronie

I switched to Nova as Samsung got far too invasive with their data slurping when using their launcher. It's bad enough that Google knows everything you do on these devices unless you go to some extremes. For Samsung to say hey we want that too was too far. At this point I wouldn't know what I'm missing in new OEM launchers. But if I've not had need for it, am I really missing out? :)

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

If you're on Android 10, you'd be missing out on gesture navigation. I don't really like the 3-button navigation, and with my Moto G6, the fingerprint reader under the screen allowed for swipes and taps to navigate. I still find myself reaching for it on my Stylus, but I'm adjusting to gesture navigation. Nova Launcher, however, might be worth going back to. I actually have it installed and ready to go.

scjjtt, raspabalsa and headcronie like this.