What to do with my old Palm T|X?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by tbessie, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Kandi Klover

Kandi Klover Mobile Enthusiast

Does anyone out there still have Palm handheld they're giving away? My zire 31 wasn't much but it just went dead and would like to habe a useable to use still because I really like them and use it for chess heavily with an palm app Imade years back in addition to viewing my shortwave timetables and various PDFs and such. ThesePalms had Very low RFI and were very stable never have an issue with anything crashing using it as a portable field computer of sorts.

Photo of my Zire https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YnZLTEhJQ1pHTEFGaFcyUk92ckktYWtUSEdXS1VB

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

RickAgresta, Hook, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, Kandi Klover. You can also try PalmDr. They don't give away their Palm devices, but prices are IMO reasonable for devices in good working condition, and you can also select accessories and upgrades.

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Wow, this thread brings warm memories. And, by some coincidence, I just finally got that old, old Thinkpad with no wifi set up with XP and set up palm desktop. I've set up my Alphasmart Dana on it and will try and get my TX syncing this week-end. The TX has mostly been involved in Astroware amusements, but I have some ideas... :vbwink:

By the way, a fresh install of XP dedicated only to Palm desktop with no updates is blazing fast on even an ancient computer. Lol. :vbgrin:

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  5. Kandi Klover

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  6. Kandi Klover

Well no luck at GoodWill but I did see TXs on eBay averaging around $40-50 dollars each in pretty decent condition. Anyone know where I can get one of those metal rhino cases or whatever they were called that folds open and covers the whole Palm? I've seen them included with the PDA in some previous sales but have been having troubling sourcing one on it's own incase I can't find a listing that includes it.

lelisa13p, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  7. Hook

Well, turns out that in the bottomless box of goodies Scjjtt sent me, there is one of those aluminum hard cases, I believe the original Palmone case. I don't use it and don't think I ever will. It seems in perfect condition with two sd card holders inside. Since I do hate to see something perfectly good go to waste, I'll be happy to give it to you for free. If you get a TX, PM me your address (DO NOT post it here in the forum).

I will put in one more plug for Palm Dr. Yes, your TX will be more expensive than you are looking for, but you will be getting an expertly refurbed device with a new battery and a 90 day warranty. Plus you can get a couple of inexpensive options such as a glass backed digitizer (*really* makes a difference). However, I understand if it is out of your price range.

http://www.palmdr.com/cart/palm-tx-palm-os-garnet-54-312-mhz-p-6.html

8. Kandi Klover

Wow thanks a ton. American Express just cleared my check deposit from last week today so I was giving it a look over. I'll order one later today when when I decide on a listing, the PalmDr is pretty appealing but a bit out of my price range for now. Though I might later if I end up getting addicted to the one I get off eBay like when I bought an old ipod last year. This will just be the starter for now.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  9. Hook

The hard case is on it's way to Mr. Klover. :thumbsup: May have to refer to it as a boomerang case, as it is going back to AZ (but not near Scott). :vbwink:

Happy to help a fellow TXer, as well as pay forward something of what this magical place has given me.

I'm in fact having a lot of fun setting up my TX. When I went to sync it on my XP machine, it wouldn't complete a sync no matter how long I waited. So I decided to hard reset and it syncs fine and I am slowly rebuilding it which is allowing me to relearn a lot of things I had forgotten and will help me with trouble shooting in the future. It's funny, I would probably never go back to a TX for video or anything internet related, as I inch towards retirement, the TX actually feels like something that could still serve me well, especially as a pocket organizer. And that is, after all, what Palms really were, underneath all the bells and whistles. And, oh yeah, those Astroware games! :vbgrin: :vbrolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hook, you did, I assume, also install Kurt Dekker's games?