What to do with my old Palm T|X?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by tbessie, Nov 5, 2013.

1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Hey all...

The last Palm I ever bought was a T|X, which has been sitting on my desk attached to its charger for many years. Up until last year, I think, I used to take it with me on any long trip I went on, since it was my main PIM, despite years of copying stuff from it to my various smartphones and smartish-phones.

Now that I'm syncing my Android phone directly to my computer and the Palm is way out of date, I decided it was time to completely retire it, so I did a hard reset on it, sad though it was.

Two questions:

1) Is that all I need to do to truly wipe the memory in it? (I've reformatted the SD card already). Or are there more "secure" ways of wiping it than doing a hard reset?

2) What should I do with it? Nobody I know wants one - perhaps one of you out there would be interested in it? If so, and you'd want it for yourself (not for reselling or something like that), let me know. It's in fine shape, never had a problem with it, it still holds a charge really well, comes with a nice leather flip-case, etc.

- Tim

EDIT: Found the answer to the 1st question (the "Zero Out" reset, mentioned here - it seems to be working, because the T|X has a blank screen and the power button won't wake it up, even though the URL below doesn't mention the T|X): http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/887_en.html

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    lelisa13p, AZ-TE, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gordks

Gordks Newbie

Does that mean that it is now a brick? If so then I guess that has also shortened the list of possibilities for question 2. I would think recycling is the only option if it is now unusable, although someone might still want it for parts.

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

No. This condition is to be expected.

From the linked content in the OP's post:

tbessie likes this.
  4. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

No no, it's not a brick - it zeros the user memory, then does a factory reset, so it works fine. The zeroing is just a security precaution.

- Tim

5. theblacksmith

theblacksmith Mobile Enthusiast

Hey Tim, I'm in the same boat. I came over to Palm from being a HandSpring when it was a stellar success story. Now when I walk the halls of university I spy all the shiny new T|X looking smartphones: from iPhones to BlackBerry's to various Android devices. So I feel like I am the last child to be picked to play softball after school. App's virtually non-existent, all the good online stores have closed or companies have faded to black. So what to do with something I enjoyed using but couldn't even pay someone to take from me? (gets teary-eyed) Good-bye old friend (looks to the TX).

tbessie likes this.
  6. Technoid

Technoid Newbie

I know of a friend that would want one.. Are you selling it or giving it away for free?

7. ATGM

ATGM Newbie

I just started using an old Palm T|X I was given as a compact digital picture frame - the slide show application that came with it seems fine and it was easy to sync photos with it. There are still better looking slideshow apps out there which can automatically download images set up on remote machines; check out http://sagar.org/workbench/04_palm-photocasting/index.html . I did find the actual downloadable file IIRC, just not at the link provided - had to google for it or get it through cnet or similar.

8. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

See if your local library can use it for ebook rentals. Or, if it makes sense as an accessibility tool at your local elementary or middle school - speak to the guidance counselor/school psychologist, ask if their assistive tech needs could be met by a PDA donation.

z22 2006 User likes this.
  9. jbenham

jbenham Mobile Deity

It was a sad, sad day when HP took over Palm. I used my Palm T/X a lot for reading. I have yet to find ereader software as good as what Palm had. Now it works okay when plugged in, but will not hold a charge. I got an iTouch to replace it and hardly use that anymore either, since I got the tablet. Will be getting a smart phone in a couple weeks and probably won't use the iTouch after that either. The iTouch can go, but the Palm T/X stays.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Good battery replacement form here:
    http://www.palmdr.com/cart/

Also, if you never tried the glass-backed digitizer, you will be amazed if you want to try that too. The TX will probably last another 5 years with those, lol. :newpalm:

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.