what should i do ?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by PC4Life, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC4Life

PC4Life Mobile Deity

Hi every one....

I finally have enough to get an IPhone yay! But I am not sure if I should get the 8GB or the 16GB I just dont know if the extra $100 is worth 8 more GB? Do you think it is necessary to get the 16GB or will I be fine with the 8GB? I like to have a lot of pictures and will put music and maybe a movie on it plus all my contacts...so let me know what you think?

thanks!!!:newpalm:

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I know, essentially, nothing about the way Apple/AT&T handles upgrades and/or "oops, I changed my mind, can I do this...." -- that said, if you plan to keep the phone for *a*long*time* [whatever that is these days], I'd go for the extra 8 Gb now; remember, it can't be added to via an external memory card, so if you think you might need it in the future, get it now. Unless there is an upgrade policy in place that addresses this, somehow. just my 2¢ ;)

3. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

When I bought my iPhone (June 2009), they had a 30 day return policy. Since I was switching providers, too, that included their contract. IOW, if I didn't like it within 30 days & decided to switch to a phone that only Verizon had, the guy told me I could do that. Of course, it's always good to get this in writing & this was at an Apple store. I don't know if the policy is different if you go to an AT&T store. SO...if that's true, you could up/downgrade within 30 days.

Having said all that, I have an 8gb & that's just fine for me. I have many, many apps. The apps don't take up much space. I also do have some documents for work & some music but I still have 3.4 gb free. The real difference between the two is if you wanted to store a lot of music/movies (I have a regular ol' iPod, so I don't put much on the phone) and/or documents. For me, it was not worth the extra money to get the 16 gb.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I have the HTC Touch Pro 2. While it has an external memory slot, it's not accessible without removing the case and battery cover. I have an 8GB card in it and transfer files to/from via USB connection between my phone and PC. I have a ton of very large music files and at least 6 hours of video, with plenty of room left over. I don't keep a lot of photos on my phone. Instead, I simply go to Picasa using an app on my phone (Kinoma Freeplay) and stream them.

In my opinion, 8GB is plenty and it's not worth $100 to only double it to 16GB.

5. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Oh, and there are apps (I use SimplifyMedia) that integrate with iTunes on your desktop computer & allow you to stream the music to your iPhone. Of course, that means you must have your computer on & use iTunes as a music manager. But if I'm someplace & really want to hear a song I have on my computer but not on the iPhone, I can do that. It even recognizes your iTunes playlists.

Orb allows you to stream videos from your desktop computer. But, IME, it's really choppy.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

I have an 8 gig iPod touch and never got near filling it up. I also have a 16 gig iPad and while I'm a little more worried about filling it up, using Rhapsody on both devices and limiting my on-board music to under a gig really helps.

7. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

I would say 8Gig should be enough for most "normal" people....but if you are like ME and NOT "normal" :p I would go for the 16Gig.

I have almost 6 Gigs of Apps on my 16Gig iPhone. :eek: I know. I have issues.:rolleyes: I personally go with the 16Gig if I could. especially if you are Game Player.

But that's just me.:D

8. DianaS

DianaS Mobile Consultant

I got the 32 GB iPhone and it replaces a phone, an ipod for music, and a PDA for just about everything in my life - calendar, medical references, personal and professional contacts, etc. Since I don't like to move things around, all my music is on it and that takes up a lot of space. My advice would be to go for the most memory possible because it always costs more to switch to the bigger/faster/more wonderful model later. Whichever you get, enjoy.

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Bear in mind the 8gb 3G will not be able to multitask. IIRC the 16gb 3GS WILL. So from a future-proofing standpoint the extra 8gb is worth it.

On the other hand, if you don't care about that, 8gb should serve you just fine.

10. Green Loontern

Green Loontern Gustatus similis pullus

Good point there. The newer 3GS is 16GB minimum. If you only want 8GB, you'll have to get the older 3G, and give up the improvements of the newer 3GS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.