What is your favorite smartphone, cell phone, mobile phone of all time?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by CLeonard, Jul 1, 2014.

1. CLeonard

CLeonard Brighthand Site Admin Super Moderator

The mobile phone is not a new technology, with commercial models dating back to the 1980s. So in the nearly 30 years that we've been toting these devices around, which model is your favorite and why? Was the technology ahead of its time? Was it the first phone you owned, or was it your first smartphone that did more than, well, just be a phone? For me this is not very tough. Prior to my purchase of the iPhone 4 in July 2011, my previous devices had simply be phones, which I neither loved nor hated. I can't remember their specific models as I jus got them for free when I renewed my mobile plan?

So how about you? What was your favorite phone?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

toss-up between my Droid X and my Galaxy S3

hardware (external) design features of the X that I miss are hardbuttons for the camera, as well as for home, menu, back and find; a rubberized exterior; side-ports for charging and DLNA (simply better design for use in cars with external input & no BT, if you want to also charge)

all that said, the S3 is quuicker, a bit bigger display, a beautiful display; it's also slippery and a real power hog (not that the X wasn't)

Mi An, Hook and weegie like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Without a doubt, my Nexus 5 is the best phone/pocket computer I have ever owned and I probably like it as much as I did my old TX, which is saying something. The Nexus 4 I had for a while was more aesthetically pleasing --the nexus 5 is actually a pretty bland design-- but it is a sweet piece of hardware that a large number of devs support so that, once rooted and unlocked, you can do almost anything with it. This is the true successor (for me) to the Palm TX.

4. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Samsung S3. It's what I have. There may be better devices available, but I don't have the time or money to investigate them.

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  5. John Farrel

John Farrel Mobile Evangelist

Well, If I talk about the all time favourite smartphone then its defiantly going to be Nokia N72, but now with time my craze has shifted towards the Android and the favourite smartphone now I like is my Samsung Galaxy S5.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  6. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

This is my FAVORITE cell phone of all time.

[​IMG]

:D

Just kidding, the Samsung Galaxy S2 T989D

freelife2014, r0k, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

There may be better, but mine is good enough. The S4 and the Note 2 were available when I got mine but this one only cost me fifty bucks when I got on my spouse's plan and the rest, even with subsidy, would have been substantially more. It still works fine and I still don't regret my choice, other than wishing for a bigger screen, with the tradeoff being that it will still fit in my pants pocket, Otterbox and all. Still, it would be worth having to go back to a case or belt clip the next time I upgrade. I'd like to close the gap that's still big enough for a 7" tablet between the phone and my Chromebook.

As for the powerhog thing, I can see that, although I don't use the heck out of mine most days. A few phone calls, messages, checking email and doing some browsing still leave me with about half charge at the end of the work day.

scjjtt and weegie like this.
  8. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The Galaxy Note 2 is my hardest worker. Although my Nexus 5 is my main phone now along with an HTC One in my business line, the Note 2 is what I take for trips. It is during those trips that I lean hardest on my devices, where I deeply rely on Waze to navigate traffic, and play Ingress while roaming around.

The years hasn't made the device slower, it still gets strong all day battery life, its still well built, well balanced on the hand, very responsive to swipes and touches.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and weegie like this.
  9. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I expect that a Note 2 is an excellent navigation device. I could get my eyes back on the road quicker if I wasn't having to focus on a 4" screen.

10. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I now have a nav system in my car. It came with the other options I wanted, so I accepted it. It's somewhat better integrated into the overall system, so it's what I mostly use now, and Waze doesn't get fired up much on my S3. I still use it once in awhile, though, just for the H of it.

The major shortcoming of the S3, IMO, is the short battery life. You just can't get enough power into a battery that small. I've been using my double-power battery lately, and it lasts all day with no problem. The downside is that it makes the phone twice as thick, but I can live with that. I also recently discovered that I can use the phone back that came with the battery and put two standard batteries in the phone, making one a spare, and I can swap the batteries fairly quickly when one dies. Not ideal, but another trick in the bag if needed. Since I have 3 standard batteries on hand, plus the extended battery, I can go a long time without charging if I have to. Having a quick-replaceable battery makes a huge difference.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.