What is the best phone for a Task List?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by BW1950, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BW1950

BW1950 Mobile Enthusiast

I'm an old codger and the older I get the less I remember. So, I basically live off of my Task List both at home and especially at work. I use a 9 year old Palm W at work. I have an old Palm Treo phone (Verizon, Palm OS). I don't like the keyboard on the Treo (my fingers either slip off the curved keys or press 2 keys at once). The Treo was supposed to replace the Tungsten W but I actually prefer the W for the PDA features, especially the Task List and the keyboard.

I tried my daughter's BB Tour but the task list seems an after thought. Also don't care for the track wheel.

Are there any phones out there that are strong for organizing my life? I'm stuck with Verizon for a number of reasons. Thanks!

2. zap2

zap2 Apple User

You could look to the Droid Incredible. There are some decent 3rd party To-do apps.

3. BW1950

BW1950 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll check that out. What about a Palm Pre now that HP is in the mix?

4. zap2

zap2 Apple User

I think WebOS is a fantastic OS, and I'm actually looking into picking up my first WebOS device when the Pixi hits AT&T in early June. However as far as To-Do apps, I'm not actually sure. Someone who owns the Pre(or Pixi) might be able to suggest something. I know there was concern over long term plans with WebOS(and Palm's ability to fund it), but now with HP seeming very interested in funding it, I wouldn't be to worried buying a Pre or Pixi as far as long term software development/support goes.

I know one thing the Pre has, is that is can run Classic, which is an App that allows the Pre to emulate Palm OS, so even if you don't find a To-Do app for the Pre right away, you can always depend on the Palm OS To-Do app running on your Pre.

(Also If you do get a Droid Incredible(or any Android device) the To-Do app I use is Astrid. )

5. BW1950

BW1950 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks zap2. I've found the Palm OS very easy to use and I like it. I like the fact that I can reuse the lists over and over quite quickly. With the BB Tour it seemed like it would take more time than it was worth.

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Be aware that WebOS is not Palm OS. Not saying whether that is a good thing or a bad thing from your persepctive, but there is no relation. It does have Classic, a separately purchased Palm OS simulator. I don't know WebOS, but hopefully someone who does will drop in.

7. BW1950

BW1950 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks Hook. I actually knew that but like you I don't know what they kept (if anything) from Palm OS. I've heard Web OS is good but a lot of things are good for a lot of people but aren't what I'm looking for.

8. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Though Palm let their PIMs fall off the back of the truck, some developers still realize that Palm had the best PIMs. I don't have a Pre, but keep trying to find apps that will let me continue my POS experience on the new platform. Check this link to see ToDo Classic. It doesn't look like the "original", but perhaps it is better than the new WebOS option.

I find this to be a more useful remake: ClassicNote, a Memos app - since Palm totally blew this with the silly Sticky Notes app.

Good luck on your quest.

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

FWIW, Android has some pretty impressive to do managers. Everything from the super basic (GTasks) to Toodeldo and Remember the Milk (if you like cloud based tasks) to hardcore managers like Astrid and Get Things Done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.