What is Program/Storage Memory on HTC Diamond?

Discussion in 'HTC Touch Diamond & Touch Diamond2' started by yorker, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

I'm still getting around using Windows Mobile on the Diamond. I have been scavaging and installing many tweaks and apps onto the smartphone.

I have installed the larger .CAB files on the internal 4GB Flash memory and some very few small files onto the phone's RAM memory.

What I would like to know is that what does the "Storage memory" occupy as well as the "Program memory." As well as, if the applications installed into the internal storage also accompany space onto the memory on the phone.

Right now I have about 21MB of memory free on the "Storage memory" and about 135MB free on the "Program memory." Does this limit the amount of applications that can be installed even though it has its own relatively large internal storage?

2. schmenge

schmenge Your ad here

Since WM 5 Windows takes your internal memory and divides it into Program and Storage memory. I am NOT sure if this is dynamic, but I think it is. Storage memory is allocated for the storing of programs (i.e. your PC hard drive). Program memory is allocated for the programs to actually run (i.e. ram on your PC). If you have a lot of applications open you should see Program memory drop and then go back up if you close (not minimize) a program.

I try and install everything I can to my card. There are some things, like plugins, that I will but on internal.

3. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

Wow, thanks that really helped. I installed .NETframework so that would be a cause of taking more space. Am I able to install this onto the 4GB internal memory.

The Diamond uses WM6.1 just to clarify.

4. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

I think all the version of WM from 5 and up use the dynamic memory management thing where it evens out storage and dynamic RAM. My 8125 usually has about the same amount of storage and RAM.

5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

To clarify things:

In WM2003SE and prior, the device's RAM was used for both program memory (like RAM in a typical PC) and storage memory (like a hard drive in a typical PC). Some devices had enough NVRAM for the OS to assign as a built-in memory card.

WM5 and later, however, made it so that RAM is program memory and NVRAM is storage memory-just like a typical PC. This has the advantage of not making all of your data disappear when the device runs out of power, but the disadvantage of being slower overall because NVRAM isn't as fast as typical volatile RAM.

Basically, more program memory means you can run more demanding applications simultaneously (particularly Opera Mobile 9.5 with multiple tabs), while more storage memory means that you can have more applications installed.

6. schmenge

schmenge Your ad here

Probably not. Some programs will force themselves into main memory regardless of what you select for installations and others will put some files in main memory anyway. I am pretty sure that .NET is one of those that will go to main memory no matter what you do.

7. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

Thanks to you all for making it clear to me.

Another question, is there a way/app that I can use to partition the storage memory to the program memory? I would want to do that just to get more speed out of the device.

8. schmenge

schmenge Your ad here

I don't *think* so, but maybe there is a way. Even if you reallocated I don't think you would see faster, just be able to open more apps at the same time. Windows begins shutting down minimized apps when it needs more memory. Personally I use a task manager and close most apps anyway rather than minimizing. 135 meg of program memory is, in my experience, really good. On my old 8125 I usually started at about 20 and generally needed a rest during the day as memory would sometimes dip too low. With my Tilt I start at about 50 and rarely drop under 30.

SK Tools lets you reclaim ram in the background.

9. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

I'm starting to like Windows Mobile, but I really want more developers to be developing for it. I want to see more Entertainment related apps for it, especially games like the iPhone's, that's the main reason everyone get's an iPhone and every developer develops for it because of the large consumer base. Everyone else, is developing for the iPhone or G1...

Now I want the Palm Pre, if it's within my budget, I came at the wrong time to buy the Diamond...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.