What happens when you first add an sd card to an Android phone?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by tbessie, Nov 8, 2014.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

^ Not true with "every" android devices. On my Samsung Galaxy Tab P1010 & Galaxy S2 i9100, the only thing create is LOST.DIR (empty folder)

I am pretty sure that goes the same with my other Samsung Galaxy devices.

2. John Farrel

John Farrel Mobile Evangelist

No for every device it creates just put your SD card over the device wait for sometime or change the pictures taken by camera storage over to SD card and I am sure you will see those folders created automatically !

3. NetBrakr

Nope, not on my Galaxy devices, even when I am taking pics, cause i stored them into the phone itself, not the SD card. If I choose to store the pics on the SD card, now it create a DCIM folder.

And again, the OP said "What happens when you first add an sd card to an Android phone?"

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

The folders I mention are created without any action from me; they all are prefaced by various apps' dot-notation'd class name (eg. com.amazon.kindle/files is a folder that was created).

I wonder, if I reformatted the SD card, would it wipe out any data that an app is using there? Again, since all I did was insert the card and start the phone; no app said anything about changing where it was going to put its data. But all those folders are named after various apps... so I'm concerned. Almost none of them have anything in the folders yet, however.

- Tim

5. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Just pull the card. I'm almost certain you'll find that everything works fine. It will only matter if you explicitly tell a program to use that card for it's data.

Of course, none of my devices have SD card slots, so I can't test it for you. :vbwink:

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

No need to worry. All my devices have SD cards, so I've tested this a lot of times. Remember that apps will create a series of placeholder folders in the card, but will only start filling them up once the user tells the app to use the external SD card.

See, Hook? That's one more reason to have devices with SD slots... you can actually test this stuff on them ;) :D

7. NetBrakr

Here you go, Hook. I will buy this for your ONLY if you PROMISE to get a Samsung for your next device. :D :p

microSD.jpg

8. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Apparently Lollipop improves the handling of SD cards.

scjjtt likes this.