What happens if I pull the plug during ActiveSync?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by CEB, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I recently moved from Palm to WM (VarioIII/Tilt), and I like the way ActiveSync seems to re-sync every time I change something on my PC.

However, sometimes I want to leave the desk during a sync. With Palm, removal from the cradle during a sync often caused duplicate entries, and evil demons would be released :eek:

What happens if I just unplug the sync cable during a sync?

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I'm not absolutely sure, but I suspect it would simply end the sync partway. I've never seen duplicate entries show up due to this, but I can't certify that it's impossible.

3. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

In my experience, ActiveSync is designed to stop and start in the middle. OTOH, personally I avoid doing it if possible, esp., if I have a lot to sync.

4. OneHandClapping

OneHandClapping Where is my Zen?

I have done this once, and it would no longer sync. (error message) I had to delete relationship and make a new one. No duplicates, but now I try to avoid pulling the cord until it is finished.

5. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

I keep my phone in it's cradle at work and whenever I make a change to Outlook on the Desktop it senses a change and initiates a sync. Sometimes while this is happening, my phone rings and I don't hesitate to answer it and then put it back in the cradle. This has never caused any problems for me. OTOH, if I've been gone a week and there are multitudes of changes to sync, I won't interrupt the process until it is done. There is no need to anger the sync gods and we all know what a PIA it is to have to reestablish the sync mechanism, whatever the platform.

6. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll only pull the plug in case of emergency then.

Shame I can't do a WiFi sync, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again. Seems you have all saved me a lot of trouble.

7. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I did it! I pulled the plug during an activesync!

Just connected it again. Warning message said something like:
    Changes were made to your server that require all data must be synced to your device again. Any changes made since your last sync will be lost

Grrrr! This is another reason why (in another thread) I asked if auto-sync can be turned off. I constantly update Outlook at work, so the thing always seems to by syncing. Sometimes I have to leave the desk immediately (and need to take the phone with me), and can't wait for the sync to end. Wish it had a WiFi hotsync.

8. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Still flippin syncing :(

9. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

Are there not options under ActiveSync/WMDC that you can set to tell it how and when to sync? I seem to recall there were. Give me a few and I'll connect up and see what I find.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

Well ... I cannot find it. I did find this, though ...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.