What gadget do you miss?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Adama D. Brown, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I was sorting through my stacks of phones tonight, and it got me thinking. What gadget or gadgets do you miss using? Even if it's something antiquated by current standards, is there something that you really loved and miss the feel of using?

Personally I miss my Axim X51v. I still have it actually, but many years of wear have made it unreliable--the battery latch no longer functions right, and neither does the touchscreen input. I have an iPaq 210, but it's just not the same great ergonomics my Axim has.

2. harpgliss

harpgliss Mobile Deity

Hi,

I miss my Sony TH55 the most, Still have it too but needs a battery but in great condition otherwise.

For me, at the time, it was just the right combination of pda and multimedia abilities in one device.

Not the best camera but great for quick shots and videos when I had nothing else available.

The one piece of software that still amazes me today was the Clie Organizer and how it incorporated all the functions of the pda.

Maybe the precursor to what the WebOS does? and four years ago too.

Still amazing after all this time, I think it still holds up well, even today.

David

3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Ummm... I'm not sure what phones have to do with it, I didn't think we were supposed to name names, and "gadget" or "antiquated" seem such cold terms (I prefer "toy" and "mature.") :rolleyes: :p

4. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

My first Toshiba 1910 Satellite laptop. It was a tank, with a trackball that snapped on the side. Worked great. The battery finally went the way of all rechargables. If I had not cleaned house when I changed careers 6 years ago, I might still have it, but I couldn't justify keeping it.

5. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

I miss THIS... finally died about 5 years ago. I had the cassette adapter and printer. At one time I had written a library of Stat programs in BASIC for it.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

I can think of several gadgets I miss.

I miss my iPaq though I only had it for a week because it had the best remote control program I've ever seen on a PDA and it used the same file system that I used on my desktop at that time.

I miss my TX because it was the best/worst experience I've had with a Palm device. It introduced me to the horrors of ntfs, instability and auto-hard-resets but it also introduced me to sync via wifi and what seemed like unlimited storage at the time. Yes, my iTouch can sync via wifi, can run 140,000 apps with a whopping 8 gig of storage, but I still sometimes miss my TX (which is rotting in the bottom of a drawer suffering total battery failure). Back then I remember carrying on long debates about "laptop replacement" with a device that had a teeny tiny screen and today we are having those same debates about the iPad. The more things change the more they stay the same. :)

I also miss this old thing...
    [​IMG]
    ...My first computer... sniffle sniffle

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

r0k, that looks like an old Osborne (which also looks like a portable sewing machine). I worked on a couple of those in college.

I can't think of any gadgets I really miss. At the moment, I'm continuing to adjust to the TP2. There are some features from my 755p and TX that I miss, but I don't exactly miss those devices. I have good memories of my IIIxe and T|E, but don't miss them much, either. In college, I assembled an Apple II G (I think that's what it was) and enjoyed that. There's one game I played -- some star ship fighting thing -- that I don't particularly miss, but wish I could recall its name.

I miss my hair.

8. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

My first was the first Compaq (the name referred to the fact that it was a compact version of an IBM-PC). I think it was also the first fulll bore clone (BIOS, MS-DOS, etc). It was great. A whopping 256K RAM, as I recall. No hard drive. Lasted me into the early 90s (really).

9. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

My m500. It was a heck of a trooper and saved me probably 4 brand new eyeglass prescription increases single-handedly, much more from the discovery that soft backlighting hurt my eyes for night reading much less than booklights did.

It intro'd me to ebooks and revolutionized my library's accessibility. It was slim, sexy and sturdy. I wish I could add water, pop it in a rehydrator and pull out an 8" version to hold me over until tablets finally get their act together.

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Yep, it's an Osborne Executive.

I had one of those too for a while. For a while I ran SCO Unix on one. :eek:

I miss my m5xx as well. It was probably the best palm I ever had after the TX, but had none of the problems I remember from my TX (nvfs). My first ebooks were on a Palm device, too, as was my first bible: OliveTree Biblereader which I still use on both my BB 8830 and my iTouch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.