What does your launcher look like?

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by Tritan, Nov 18, 2004.

1. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

Man, that "today" thing's very cool. We're still trying to convince Rob at Hobbyistsoftware to develop a today plugin for Initiate.

2. fstopstigmata

fstopstigmata Newbie

3. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

What launcher is that? It looks cool!

4. Delpita

Delpita Woooooo-Hoooooo!

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Been playing around with a new look. wanted something cleaner, less busy. Right now it is looking like this:

[​IMG]

Here it is with a MyKbd skin I created:

[​IMG]

I suspect more tweaking ahead.

By the way, little of this represents my artistic ability, I just put the pieces together and tweaked.

I started with the Stealth ZL skin, chose a black background color. I used the Blackberry Bold ZL icons. There are limited icons, so if you looked through all my tabs you'd see repeating icons, but it fits with the minimalist approach I am using. I orderd up the comic sans font sized small via Fontsmoother since I liked the idea of a very small touch of whimsy with the BB icons.

Well, I'm having fun, anyway. :newpalm:

6. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

I like it Hook. That would look really nice on my Treo 650, without the keyboard obviously.

I might be tempted to load up ZL again to give it a whirl. Having used Power Run for so long, it would mean a whole load of messing around with new shortcuts for my card apps, but I am tempted, if I ever get the time.

Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: Does anyone know if ZL shortcuts take up much in the way of RAM? I am just trying to figure out how much extra RAM ZL will use up compared to my current setup with Power Run. I can free up 580kb of RAM by deleting HiLauncher, Power Run and all the shortcuts to my card. ZL will take at last 1200kb plus shortcuts and the required background.(although I have some very small Bmp files for plain backgrounds)

7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Nice, Hook! I might have to play around with Palmie a bit and give it a go. :cool:

Andy, just a cursory look through FileZ shows most of my ZL shortcuts in the 2-8kB range - Just guessing, I think you'd be safe to assume an average of 4kB per shortcut. That's not scientific at all, just a guesstimate based on scrolling through mine. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what to plan for.

Joe

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

bluefish, I helped a friend set up his Treo 650 with ZLauncher. With a theme(250KB), iconset (600KB), and background (300KB), ZL took up about 1.6MB total, which is a lot for a 650. I had to move most of his apps to card. In the end he kept Hi-Launcher, DTG 10, pTunes, TCPMP, RoadLingua, HandBase, and TomeRaider in the main memory. Everything else (games mostly) went to the card. Free main memory after all this remained at about 5MB.

Joe-Boy is right about the shortcuts. Don't know why they're not all the same size, but mine are in the same range.

9. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

One of the big functional advantages of ZL for me was the ability to put most anything on the card, freeing up lots of RAM. ZL does have a rather large footprint, especially when you include backgrounds, icon sets, etc. But even back in my m515 days it was well worth the real estate.

I've wondered about the varying shortcut sizes, myself. At one point I speculated that perhaps it had something to do with how many related files were moved to the card with the actual app (keeping track of, say, 2 files vs 12 files for a given app,) but that theory hasn't proven accurate. I have no idea why they vary so, but they're not all that big, especially considering you can move a several-MB app and it's "stuff" to the card.

10. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

One of the few things I still wish I had been able to carry over from Palm OS to WM is ZLauncher. It was so customizable, and I could make it look or act like anything I wanted it to. :/ Skyfire, multitasking, etc. makes up for most of that, though.