What Does Your Home Screen Look Like?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Back in the good old days with the Palm, we had this wonderful thread:

http://forum.brighthand.com/general-palm-os/80272-what-does-your-launcher-look-like.html

I thought it would be fun to start up one for Android (a "What does your launcher look like" thread for iOS and WinPho... snicker ;-) ).

I am carrying two devices which have very different purposes. My philosophy is to get the apps and information I use 90% of the time on my Home Screen. I'm not graphically fancy. Also, both my devices are Gingerbread. The launcher in both cases is ADW, with the Samsung using the EX version while the Nexus One just uses the regular one included in the CM7 ROM.

sam 1.jpg ---------- htc1.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Player 5 -------------------- HTC Nexus One

My Galaxy Player is my PDA. PIMs on the dock bar, Office Suite, a couple of often used utilities, ereader and time (whimsical) and temp.

My Nexus One (almost 3 years old) is my phone, mifi and music player (so I don't miss calls while listening). More detailed weather as it is easiest to pull when I am out and about and has 3G, phone and SMS stuff, music player, mifi toggle, 3G meter,etc.

Pretty basic really. Bet others are much more elaborate and I'd love to see them. Also, would love to see the differences between Gingerbread, ICS and JB. So, come on, start posting. ;-)

EDIT: I am under the impression, though I can't test, that there are now screen shot options for non-rooted phones. If it turns out I am mistaken, that will unfortunatey limit who can respond. Hope I'm not wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
    jigwashere likes this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'm just running the stock motoblur launcher, Gingerbread 2.3.4 DroidX, rooted, and at this point I'm hoping to do this all on the phone.

What the screenshot doesn't show is kinda the equivalent of some Palm 'enhancements' -- running Wave Launcher gives me
    the ability to access shortcuts to start up to 12 of my most often used apps, or more via use of folders with apps…also, the icon labelled Launcher gives similar functionality

Will have to do this another way…back in a bit with actual screenshot EDIT: couldn't get a screenshot of the Wave Launcher in action, but here's a link to their site: Wave Launcher | Anything on your phone – Just a swipe away!

EDIT: here's what the Wave looks like, although not on my home page...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    Hook and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm currently trying Apex Launcher on ICS. I don't run too many applications and don't want to bother with flipping through a bunch of screens to find the shortcut I need. I like Hook's comment the other day about having a home screen for each type of activity, but in my case, I decided to try a single home screen to do everything for me. Apex launcher lets me create folders on my home screen. Right now, I have 6 folders with about 3 or 4 shortcuts in each. The downside to this approach is that I have to click twice to run some apps, but the upside is that I don't have to scroll through home screens to find the one with the shortcut. I'm not sure I like this (I just set it up over the past few days), but we'll see.

Screenshot_2012-09-23-17-13-53.png

Hook likes this.
  4. jigwashere

I have ADW Launcher EX on my 2 Nook Colors with CM7. Until last week, I used it on my E4GT.

I honestly don't put too much care or effort into my launchers. Yes, with ADW EX, I went through all the options to learn as much as I could and set it up the way I wanted, but in the end I realize it doesn't matter much. The one thing that bugs me about some of the launchers is that the screen doesn't rotate (at least in ICS). I can't believe that Samsung's stock ICS launchers wouldn't rotate -- when they offer car and desk docks that do! ADW EX does rotate. I haven't figured out if APEX launcher does. I've also tried Nova launcher (very similar to APEX).

Hook, are those switch-widgets near the bottom of your Galaxy Player screen? I wonder if you could make the background transparent. That might look pretty cool, too.

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I think screenshots are built into ICS+. I can press and hold the task switcher icon on my transformer for a screen, but that might be an Asus thing. For others if that doesn't work: Three ways to take a screenshot in Android Ice Cream Sandwich | ITworld

I don't have any theming on Syd anymore. Just the most used icons on one homescreen. I don't even have any widgets anymore. But I've been eying hubs for sometime, having seen some screens with them years ago, and now that I have a tab, I gave it a try. It's conceptually simple, you're linking screens, which on adw and similar launchers is easy enough, but it's a little tedious because you have to set up the links on every homescreen, lots of repetition. It isn't something I'd ever really want to retheme. It'll stay pretty much this way for a couple years. I used to keep as few homescreens as possible, but now, having filled them out a little more than they are below, I rarely ever use the app drawer, and I like that. I have transitions zero'd out, so it doesn't really feel like going between homescreens anymore, when you tap any link, it jumps instantly. It feels like a completely different UI to me, far better suited to my tastes than anything I've used before.

I used adw ex, simple text for the screen linking icons, multipicture live wallpaper (optional -- using only a single wallpaper makes it seem even smoother in transition)

I don't have up-to-date screens atm, but I've got a few from when I first set up hubs on my transformer. I guess I took these before I started doing subhubs, so there are still a lot of folders in there. Sorry for the size, can't quite figure how to make them show up as thumbnails anymore. :confused:

Attached Files:

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

Great looking screens, Mi An. I don't understand what hubs and subhubs are. Anyway, if I understand how your home screens work, the text (i.e., LAB, study, dojo, nexus, and holodeck) are actually widgets that take you to the respective home screen. You've created a quick way to navigate to the icon set you want -- a bit similar to what I've done with folders. I like it! I actually started down this path a while ago, but for some reason gave up on it. By hubs -- do you mean home screens? Subhubs are folders? You kids and your funny way of talking!

7. Hook

I find it strange if ICS has done away with screen rotation (although to be honest, I keep my Samsung locked in portrait, but it is a setting I have to select). I haven't really researched launchers either. I got ADW EX for 10 cents, so that's what I use. ;-D

Yes, those widgets are toggles for screen timeout (3 way toggle) and turn on/off hotspot (that's my Nexus One, not the Samsung.) The timeout toggle is important because the power button on the Nexus One doesn't work-- the track ball will wake it, but I have to use screen time out to get it to go off. Actually, the power button barely works and I save it's use for the rare occasions I have to pull the battery. One day it will just stop and if I've pulled the battery, I'll have to use an arcane trick with the USB cable to get it powered on again. <rolleyes>

8. Hook

Wow! Those are nice screens, Mi An. Which of course, is the real fun of a thread like this, to see so many cool ideas.

I also haven't heard the hub and sub-hub terminology. Is that an ICS thing? Do you have a link to info on them?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Ditto, in the dark on hub/sub-hub ‹bub›

10. jigwashere

Just to clarify, ICS lost screen rotation on the home screen (TW and ICS launchers) -- not for apps.