What do most ex-TX'ers move on to?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by boczkowski, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidetracked

sidetracked Mobile Consultant

Thanks Rick, for your input! besides the parts though, I would have to replace my lost microphone for the tx, and the bluetooth gps unit I used with it...I may still go the route of repair but it would be nice to have an all in one unit (sans phone)
    I was hoping to find something with those features built in, and a PIM and that had a good desktop sync, that did not require phone service to be fully functional...I know some phones do this, I just don't know much about phones and don't know where to start looking and eliminating. I don't need the latest and greatest (read high dollar) just something that is a compromise of my list of "wishes" as listed above.
    When searching around the internet, I get overwhelmed, and with every smart phone being phone oriented, it is hard to determine which ones can use which functions without service (ie, some do allow gps without service, some don't) without having a search starting place, or some knowledge of phones and phone lingo.
    Any advise is appreciated..

2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Take a look at my PAYG data thread in my sig. I understand it is a shame you have to do anything involving phone service, but if you really don't need your handheld to be a phone much and you need relatively little data, it is a good way to have what you need when you need it for relatively little expenditure month to month. I use my Nexus One as a PDA with wifi about 98% of the time these days.

3. dp135

dp135 Mobile Enthusiast

I've been using a TX since 2006 when I got it for my nursing job. I really grew to love it and the palm desktop etc. I was never able to find an app that met my needs like that silly little calendar did ;=) I tried a Palm Pre but it fell short of my expectations.
    Yesterday I got a DROIDX and I absolutely love it and will now retire my TX and my LG Flip phone that have served me so well.
    I've gotten so much help from these groups by reading and sometimes posting and want to say thank you for all the help and apps you suggested etc. It made my Palm TX experience much more enjoyable.
    I may try to sell it as it works fine and I no longer have a need for it or the wireless keyboard etc but I'm not sure how much of a market there is for it these days.
    I'll miss it but this new tech toy is really amazing.

Dorothy

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'm glad to hear you have a good solution for your needs; fwiw, I expect my next OS to be Android (still using Garnet, on TX/755p/Centro).

as you probably know, Brighthand has a Buy-Sell-Trade forum (BST):
    at this point you technically are a few posts shy of the minimum; the good news is that yes, there is a market for used TX's. recently one was sold in that forum.

good luck w/ the DroidX!

5. Jim Hogg

Jim Hogg Mobile Evangelist

This is how I plan to use my smartphone and, as I've said before, I'm about decided on a Nexus 1. How tough is the Nexus 1 and what kind of protection is available? I have my TX in a Rhinoskin aluminum/neoprene case. I seem to drop it about once a month or so and, so far, the Rhinoskin case has protected it.

I suppose I could only use the Nexus 1 when I'm sitting and be careful not to drop it but it would be a lot better if I could make it as tough as my Rhinoskin protected TX.

Thanks,

Jim

6. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Jim,
    Check out Otterbox.com they make the best/toughest cases. IMHO. They make a good looking one for the Nexus One.

7. dp135

dp135 Mobile Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I did not know about the BST and am glad there are folks who still need TXs. I am loving this Droid X and playing with it and will have to up my post count need be. I really like Android.

Dorothy

8. Jim Hogg

Jim Hogg Mobile Evangelist

Thanks!

Jim