What do most ex-TX'ers move on to?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by boczkowski, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

haven't seen a glass-backed digi listed for the Centro, AA; ime, the gains are probably the greatest with G(1 or 2), but any time you tap the screen, or drag, or draw, the response is just so much better, on TX, anyway. on my Centro, the screen seems mushy, fwiw; the 755p is a lot better, but the TX&glass-backed digi are the best; original plastic-backed digi on Zire 31 is pretty good, on par with the 755p. btw, I use a feature phone, I just have 4 PDAs, 2 of which have keyboards :D

as far as I know, Chris Short still does repairs (he's in Minnesota, does great work, too;
    Chris Short (Limited PPC repairs - contact for details)
    PalmDR.com, PDA Repair Done Right! (Website is a work in progress)
    itsnothere items - Get great deals on Cell Phones PDAs, Business Industrial items on eBay.com! )

2. authorandrew

authorandrew Now on Ay3sha

I figured so...it's actually sad how there's no Graffiti on the Centro, just because of the command bar, but I love the keyboard (if only they had slipped in a command bar button)

aa

3. RickAgresta

there is a way to get to the command bar; I am on TX right now, but will post (tomorrow) what & how to get it on the Centro/755p. of course, someone may beat me to it. :D

4. RickAgresta

5. authorandrew

authorandrew Now on Ay3sha

Yeah, I realized after I posted that that I actually have a free application called FieldPlus. It's not the main focus of the app, but one of the features is a long menu press for CmdBar...so I forgot I had that.

A little <ot> here...FieldPlus is really a lifesaver for one-handed operations...you can select text by pressing 'shift' and then moving the five-way nav to the end of the text you want to select. Anyways, it's pretty awesome </ot>

aa

6. boczkowski

boczkowski be gentle with me

Right,

decided on an S60 Nokia and was lucky to snag a refurbed Nokia 5530 for just under ninety quid today. (usual price £130-150)

Wifi - S60 - touchy screeny - part of the Xpressmusic family - micro sd up to 16gb (weeee) - 3.5mm headphone jack (so I can use my own headphonery)

More at GSM Arena where I compared it to a 5800
    Nokia 5530 XpressMusic vs. Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - GSMArena.com

The main diff's being the slightly smaller screen, no TV out facility and slight size & weight changes.

One year gtee's and it comes already unlocked so I can use my existing SIM card and carrier - hurrah.

7. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I prefer bigger screens (the 5800 was too small for me), but the 5530 is a great unit from everything I've heard. Good luck and have fun!

By the way, this set of 5800 tutorials should mostly work for your unit as well. In particular, note the tutorial for getting a bT keyboard to work with the phone. :)

If it blows up in a week we'll know everything we suspect about you and electronics is true. ;)

8. boczkowski

boczkowski be gentle with me

Ooooh, nice linkage Hook. CTRL&D'd.

I'm sure99.9% of that will work with my new phone.

I should be ok. I have had Nokia phones before and they appear to be able to avoid my charms.....so far!

I know what you mean about bigger screens but I adamant that this thing will mainly be a phone and mp3 player with wifi-power. So, hopefully this means I don't need that bigger screenage 99.99% of the time.

As someone said earlier in the thread - S60 allows me expand a bit later should I want to/need to. As would the ability to use an external keyboard..should I need to of course. If I was planning on that being a regular I'd have preferred the TV out facility like the 5800 for big picture from little device usage.

I'm sure it'll all be good.

9. Jim Hogg

Jim Hogg Mobile Evangelist

How do you like your Nexus One, Hook? I've been looking for a TX replacement because I want
    1. A PDA first and foremost. It needs to handle docs to go or similar
    2. A camera. Doesn't need to be great, more for record keeping
    3. I want to sync it with my computer
    4. *Good* wifi
    5. Onscreen landscape keyboard that works well
    6. Decent music player, I'm satisfied with the TX for this so TX level or better
    7. I'd love to have something with PDF reader that is actually practical to use, unlike what I can find for the TX.
    8. A phone to use now and then, mostly for outgoing calls

I think i like the Android OS. After making myself crazy trying to compare all the android devices (new one every other month) I had about settled on the Droid. That is until I saw that I'd have to spend a minimum of $70/month for the required plan with Verison.

Hook, I know you were a big Nokia fan for awhile. How does the Nexus one compare and do you think it will fulfill my list above? which carriers will take an unlocked phone? Is it just US Cellular?

Thanks,

Jim

10. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Jim, I love my Nexus one and it fits most of your list with some caveats:

1. I certainly use mine this way. Docs-to-Go is excellent on this device. Version 3 (don't know when it is coming) will sync over wifi with a desktop app. I use Dropbox for syncing.

2. Camera is fine. Not the best, but fine.

3. It *can* do this using Companion Link and actually does it pretty well. I don't. I sync with Google and Toodledo and then use Companionlink to read my Google Calendar and Contacts into Outlook (one-way, not sync). As long as I have local backups on both laptop and SD card, I am happy with cloud syncing over wifi. There are a couple of threads in the Android forum discussing this.

4. I've had no problems with wifi. Latest protocol adds N capability, but until I get a new router, can't test it.

5. Landscape keyboard is fine. There is also an HTC keyboard you can add which is better. I am now using the Swype beta, which iis fantastic, but they have temporarily stopped taking new beta users.

6. The music player works fine for me. Syncs with Media Monkey. Syncing with iTunes is also fairly easy, but I don't have iTunes.

7. PDF-to-Go on this platform is fantastic. It will actually word wrap the document to your screen. There is also adobe Reader, but I've never used it.

8. Obviously it is fine for this.

I don't know anything about US Cellular. The Nexus One, like most unlocked phones, is GSM and must be used on a GSM network. You can get either an AT&T version or a T-Mobile version. You can read how I use my AT&T version as a gophone in the thread linked in my sig.

I think this Nexus One is better in almost every way than my 5800 (but keep in mind we are comparing a high end phone to a mid-range phone) with one notable exception. Nokia makes the best phones in terms of signal clarity, performance and software interface. It doesn't matter to me because the Nexus One is, for me, a PDA first and a phone as an added feature I don't use often. If my main concern was voice, I'd get a Nokia.