What do most ex-TX'ers move on to?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by boczkowski, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Well if you want a phone I would probably consider S60. You don't have to use it for more then you currently want to, but if you decide later that there is a function you want you will be able to :).
    I guess a Blackberry device might also be a consideration, like one of the newer storm models if you like touch - it's pretty down to business and plays well with enterprise if that is something you care about.

But if you want a stand alone portable device without a phone I would probably opt for the Nokia N900 tablet. It's small enough to be portable, but gives you media rich features and third party apps.
    Maemo software | Nokia › Nokia N900 mobile computer

2. authorandrew

authorandrew Now on Ay3sha

Since you're asking what we move on to, I'll give you my answer: a Palm Centro. But since you want a device that would be good for you, I can't recommend it, even though it's a dandy little phone.

I think that Android, as said before, is a good bet for you, and there are literally tons of Android phones out there. I believe there is a lower-featured HTC Android phone if you don't want a heavyweight like the Nexus One or the Evo 4G (now there is something that could make me leave 'Ayesha'!)

Anyways, if you don't want a phone, maybe something like the Dell Streak (or did you already mention that? And is that a phone or not?)

aa

P.S. Hook...Hookette has become a Nexus One? See what happens when you leave the forum for a while...

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Good morning, AA. Welcome back. Yup. Hookette has a new look. Same brains and attitude with a complete makeover. ;)

4. patrickdylan

patrickdylan Mobile Evangelist

I have never liked grafitti much, and have struggled with finding a good input method for me. I have the IR keyboard (not good for quick things of course) and I tried the G1 mod for the TX (great except for Blazer crashes), and I tried the default keyboard, but the switching for caps & numbers drove me nuts, not to mention the gaps between keys that amount to wasted space.

fast forward.... I've never felt nearly as satisfied as I do now with the ATOMIK myKbd. no more grafitti problems, and all my numbers and punctuation together. For me, problem solved (short of a computer with full keyboard or full voice dictation). YMMV but worth a try if you think it might help.

A little OT but worth mentioning (I hope). :rolleyes:

as for on-topic... I was considering moving to a touch or android (I have camera limitations for work, and can't seem to find a non-camera android phone or pda) but will hold off if I think the input on the TX is usable enough. For now it seems that it is.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Patrick, don't forget that if the only problem with the TX is the digitizer, that replacing the OEM with a glass-backed digi makes a world of difference :newpalm:

6. patrickdylan

patrickdylan Mobile Evangelist

I have a glass digi that I installed, but I still don't care much for grafitti. It seems to misunderstand characters a lot or start racing ahead with lots of periods where it thinks the pressure let up on the digi. Maybe it's technique, but I like a good keyboard better, I think.

7. boczkowski

boczkowski be gentle with me

:D :p

Yeah, I am thinking about Nokia 5230 (S60, no wifi) or the new C3 (S40, qwerty, has wifi) as both are around the same price at the mo' in the UK (where I am). The5230 has free Ovi maps for life at the moment too, which may be worthwhile. Wait and see huh.

Still - even with a glass digi? Jeez. I was actually considering for a moment having it repaired, until I went to usedpdaparts website and it says:
    "PDA Repair service is no longer available" :eek: and this coupled with your account makes me think I really can't be bothered with it.
    Bye Bye TX. i think I may ebay it as spares or repair or see if the guys at one of these repair websites want it for parts or something.
    Anyway

I think Nokia is the way forward for, phone plus extras I suppose, just depends which one is the right price when I go for one huh.

cheers guys

oh, and the power/battery is totally b0rked now, so it literally is new device time for me..pip pip

8. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's new, I hadn't seen that. Another sign of the times I guess. :(

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

As I tried to say above, as much as the FEEL of a glass digi is probably better, and maybe accuracy, it's the actual STROKES I don't like. I doubt a glass digi will fix this (except perhaps in the case of the capital 'I.' I doubt it would result in an '!.') While my Vx has a glass digi (which is still FABULOUS), it's the strokes that really seem better. I can still FLY on my Vx, which I haven't quite done on my LD. I have actually thought about doing stuff on the Vx (when at home) and IR'ing it to my LD. Of course I do have the BT keyboard too, which is awesome.

10. authorandrew

authorandrew Now on Ay3sha

Well, since you all are moving on, it seems....I'm prepared to take any hand-me-down palms that no one else wants. Well, just kidding.

Do glass digitizers really improve the experience that much? Are the gains most noticeable on a Palm with Graffiti or would it help a Centro as well, not just a T|X? And does any place still do repairs? :eek:

aa