What do most ex-TX'ers move on to?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by boczkowski, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boczkowski

boczkowski be gentle with me

Hmm

I may go down this route:

Nokia C3-00
    (about £80>>£110 at the moment)
    Nokia UK - Nokia C3 - Products
    and
    http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/nokia-c3

A qwerty & wifi S40 based phone. not a Smartphone as such as far as I know (no office apps) but it has a browser and an mp3 player and is cheap enough to be replaced after a year or so I suppose.

And just use something else for writing, etc.

The nokia diary/calendar is more than fine for most things in my life.
    I can record voice notes of ideas I would write up later
    I can write short notes in, err, the notes function

That will do I think.

If at home/near wifi, I suppose I can call up google docs or dropbox or whatever cloud based stuff like that that may work with the S40 browser over the web and maybe insert or edit bits and bobs from there, we'll see huh.

It can hold an 8gb microSD card, and like Hook said in an earlier post - this means I can have lots different stuff on a few cards and that stuff can be safe at home if I don't need it that day.

//goes to look at what Ovi store offers//

2. boczkowski

just noticed - built in GPS, wonder why I might need that :confused:

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I don't know much about S40, although I think it capabilities are being ramped up a bit. You might just see what prices for a low end S60 qwerty are as that would give you much more software flexibility, but the C3 may be just fine for you. :)

A lot of Synbian apps use gps for context. Weather, etc, will determine you location if you like and give you data for where you are.

4. boczkowski

Yeah, I might look at S60, it depends.

I'm kinda of the opinion that it shouldn't do everything, because I will be tempted to try and do everything on it. Past experience tells me these experiences are generally not as good as I would like them to be.

I bought that TX to write on. Found grafiti to be crap and the IR keyboards as bad. I got more done with a pen and pad and typing it up later than I ever did with the mobile non-wizardry of the TX.

Something like what you're able to do with the apple kybrd and the 5800 and now the nexus does appeal to me, though.

Discussion like this make my head hurt.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

not trying to lure you back to the world of Palm, but a glass digitizer would've made a big difference, I think, as would a BT keyboard. water under the bridge, though, right ;)

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I have the BT keyboard but not the glass digitizer, although I don't doubt for a second that would be an improvement. Too cheap to replace a new digitizer.

Still, I wonder if some of the quirks (both of the heinous Graffiti2) and the way the screen seems to read certain strokes in certain DIA configurations would change all that much. I still have terrible trouble doing a capital 'I' using the two-box DIA, with caps in the middle. I have to place the dot perfectly or I get an 'L' or a '!' which makes NO sense, since the dot would be on the BOTTOM for a '!.' Frankly, as much as I like my LifeDrive, I probably would not have bought it if I'd known how bad G2 was. I tried a bit with an E2 first to see, and it seemed okay at the time. But with a lot of text entry, it's still ridiculous. I'm at least twice as fast on my old Vx.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

were you aware that, within limitations, you can use the original Grafitti on the Lifedrive (TX, T5, T3, E2)? there are some apps with which it causes an immediate soft reset/lockup, iirc, like Blazer, but if you don't use Blazer, it's a thought. and, to cover my rear, it may not be exactly the original Grafitti, but it's pretty darn close, if its not.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks Rick. Yes, I've seen mentions of that on BH before; but the LD is supposedly very problematic with those mods. Frankly, I don't want to devote the time to it, as it probably will be too unreliable anyway.

For a long time, I used the 3-box DIA, which solved some problems. But now I have some kind of nick or something in my screen protector that catches the stylus, making it difficult to use the top box for lowercase letters. I've been using the 2-box setup but cringe every time I have to write an uppercase 'I.' If I practice a few in a row, I can get to about 80 percent success; but if it's just periodic, I almost never get an 'I' the first time. What's extra frustrating is that I get an '!.' I can understand the occasional 'L' followed by a '.' but how does one get an exclamation point? My dot isn't THAT far off!

9. boczkowski

Right - this is more urgent now as the bloody thing has stopped charging.

I am never buying another Palm.

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Don't worry, you probably won't be able to.