What do most ex-TX'ers move on to?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by boczkowski, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTM

DTM ---

When my three-year-old TX was showing end-of-life signs a bit over a year ago, I switched to an iPod Touch. While I believe that was the correct decision at the time, I would no longer do that. In fact, I just told someone the other day that, if my Touch dropped down the sewer, I wouldn't buy another one. I would wait a few months and pick up a wi-fi only Dell Streak, or perhaps one of the other Android devices that will be out this year.

There are several reasons for this, and they all come back to Apple's arbitrary policies, which I've decided I simply am not willing to live with. (For those of you who can, that's fine with me.) In no particular order:

1 - Apple's stubborn insistence that apps cannot share data. You can buy an e-book reader app, and you can buy an app that mounts your Touch to your desktop more or less like a USB flash drive. (Sorry, this is Apple. Make that a USB f---h drive. See below.) So now you can easily transfer the books to the device...only to find that the reader can't read them because it's not allowed to access files from the other app. Want to download a file from the web and use it in an app? You can't, unless the website has specifically constructed the download link to instruct the Touch what app is allowed to use the downloaded file. Imagine that, on your desktop system, you export a spreadsheet from Excel to CSV format and then want to edit it with Notepad. Sorry, can't do that! You first have to send the file to another computer, then send it back to Notepad on your computer. Then reverse the process after you edit it, so that Excel will then be allowed to import it. If that's a good way to operate, why don't Macs work like that? It further means that every app has to have its own means of transferring files. Unlike a TX, I don't just sync, I sync iTunes, then I sync DocsToGo, then I sync iFiles, then I sync....

2 - Apple's arbitrary rules about what apps are permitted to do. The published rules are bad enough, but now they are asserting the right to make up rules after the fact. This is bad for developers, but as a customer, how do I know that the app I just bought won't be pulled next week, just because Apple feels like it? That means no updates, no bug fixes, no enhancements. I don't really want to pay money for that.

3 - Apple's silly rule about only allowing iTunes to use the USB connection. Oh, they say, it's not necessary--just use wi-fi. But it is necessary, because their wi-fi is horribly unreliable. See below. Besides, if wi-fi-only syncing is such a good idea, why doesn't iTunes work that way? And why did they reject an app that would allow wireless syncing with iTunes? (They claim that this rule, along with "no data sharing" is an issue of security and protecting intellectual property rights. But why is it that everyone else can figure out how to make this work?)

4 - Apple's lousy wi-fi capability. I'm thoroughly sick of having the device fail to connect, so I retry, and retry, and turn wi-fi off and back on, and retry some more. Finally connect, only to have the connection drop after the device has been idle for a while. Repeat. Now it's connected, but as soon as I open Safari or Mail, the connection drops. Go look at the Apple discussion boards, and you'll see the most common topics are variations on, "My Touch Won't Connect To Wi-Fi". The answer? The Touch is fine, get a new router. Suggested that at work. My boss's response: Why is it that the router works perfectly--connects every time and never drops--with Sony, Dell, HP, Palm, and numerous other off-brand products, but fails miserably with just two: my Touch and his iPhone?

5 - Apple's "you can't duplicate core functionality" rule, which is really the "you can't embarrass us by producing a better app than ours" rule. Everybody complains about the Calendar limitations, but you can't get another calendar app because they won't allow it. Don't like the RealPlayer that came with your TX? Then get something better. Got a problem with the fact that Music on the Touch has no meaningful equalizer? Too bad, Apple says you don't need anything better.

6 - Apple's review process. They say it's to ensure stability, but they let through all kinds of apps that crash, lock up and just plain don't work. And then, when the developer fixes the bug, it may take weeks until Apple gets around to approving it.

7 - Apple's Flash-phobia. OK, Flash isn't perfect, and it's not standard. So what? It's there, and plenty of websites don't work without it. When HTML 5 becomes common, Flash will be obsolete. Great, but in the meantime, I'd still like to be able to surf the entire web, not just those sites that Apple thinks are properly constructed. Would you buy a phone that doesn't work with the existing cellular system, on the grounds that the one that it would work with will be better, once it's actually built? Of course not.

I could go on, but you get the idea. One of the nice things about being an adult is not having to let other people decide what I need, don't need, what's good for me, and what I ought to want. If Apple could actually make a persuasive case for any of the above, they would, and they wouldn't need to reject the apps; the users would.

This is the first Apple product I've used in about 25 years. It'll likely be the last.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

very nicely written/worded, DTM; it's refreshing to see persuasive fact-backed arguments, rather than those which are largely opinion-based.

3. TERRY1221

TERRY1221 Wonderously Muddled

I agree -- thanks DTM -- I was considering buying a touch meself after the T|X decided to go to the great beyond (hopefully not for awhile) -- I bought my daughter a touch last year for her birthday -- she hasn't seemed to have the same wi-fi issues you have (or she just isn't being vocal about it) - she's on facebook with it quite a lot at home . . . .

I'm still hesitant to buy a converged device -- I'm one of those few out there who still prefer a simple phone and a PDA separate from each other . . . I"m thinking if Apple doesn't change their itune, I may just need to go purchase some upgrades for the TX when the time comes . . . .

4. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

I agree with DTM on every point, but I still don't see another alternative for a non-converged device. It is simply a non-market. In a lot of ways, a used TX is the correct replacement for a broken TX.

5. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Except that a converged device can be used as a handheld with just another radio. My Nexus One is a replacement for my TX and is vastly superior. Yes, it has a phone radio, but that has a gophone chip in it and 94% of the time the 3G is switched off. I use wifi for pretty much everything and I make few phone calls.

You can only really do this with unlocked GSM smartphones, and yes it is a little pricey, but worth it to get what I want with no further obligation. It is much cheaper than getting a phone contract over time.

So, actually, there are choices.

6. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

If money were no object, I'd have an iPhone. Not that the device cost that much, I just object to giving ATT enough money to get the service I would want.

I made the switch from TX to Touch (16g) about 9 months ago. I have been very please. Some may accuse me of drinking the Kool Aid, because since then I have replaced my netbook with a MacBook and also replace my dying router with an AirPort extreme.

I agree with some of the things about the strange policies of the app store mentioned above.

That being said, the Touch meets my needs. I use it for--

Calendar and Contacts
    Facebook
    Evernote
    Bible
    1Password
    email
    dictionary

and some games.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get another Touch. It is much "slicker" than the TX ever thought about being, even with all he enhancements and do-dads I had added to it over the years.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

7. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

It's a good point, but often cost prohibitive .

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Tremendous precis DTM. I've bookmarked it because it's much better than my typical ad hoc listing of stuff I don't like about iPhones/iPads on forums like the Times. And I don't think of myself as an Apple hater either.

9. Lionheart349

Lionheart349 Newbie

Anything else that resembles the capability that the TX had? ... Word , Excel, Power point? Calendar and appointment details?

10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Android is your best bet. It has Docs to Go, iffy on PIM but not terrible with 3rd party options, and an active developers community.