What do most ex-TX'ers move on to?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by boczkowski, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boczkowski

boczkowski be gentle with me

Hey Hey,

does anyone have any idea about this?

I'm selling/retiring the TX as I only really use it as an MP3 player now.
    It never served me as well as I had hoped it would, for writing etc. After the initial glow dimmed I stopped using it to look at smaller versions of webpages under the duvet and just stick music on it. As for email, I only ever read it as I was near unable to reply thanks to big fingers and digitisers issues (you might recall).

So, what do most people move on to after TX leaves the building?

I had a Samsung u600 phone for a while that I used to use for an MP3 player (micro SD card slot) and 'away from home' email checker (cheap PAYG data deal and Gmail app made for quick and easy email check and reply)

BUT, these phones don't bounce, so I no longer have it, well I do, but not in working order. Anyway...

Convergence is a good thing I reckon, but i am always feart of losing one device that does nine things...then I can't do those nine things for a few weeks/months (depending on cost of device), whereas, if I have an mp3 player and lose only that....you know what I mean.

Wifi would be good in the device you suggest, and the suggestions doesn't have to be phone.
    Open to all comers.

pip pip :confused:

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

my friend, as much as I am loathe to say this, an iPod Touch would fit your requirements quite nicely. good luck with your 'adventure'.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. boczkowski

Ha, I leave the house so little these days, it is closer to an adventure than you think Rick!

I was thinking about something like a 'touch a while back as it happens. I too am loathe to admit that.

Any more for any more?

4. boczkowski

just looking at iPod touch specs and it occurred to me to mention...

I don't listen to music on my MP3 player, odd as that seems.
    It is 98% spoken word, 1% 'white noise' & relaxation stuff and maybe 1% music.
    therefore, an 160gb hard drive, like an ipod, ain't necessary. If I were to get a 'touch, I'd probably go for 8 or 16gb or something.

Just an 'additional'

5. sweller

sweller Mobile Deity

Perhaps ironically, I was looking for an MP3 player with removeable media when I stumbled on to the TX. At the time, prices were comparable so it was a no-brainer. Since you already own one, and unless size is an issue, you'll not find a better MP3 player for the money.

On a side note, I was was working for a third party doing a contract at the great-American-fruit-company when the shuffle was released. We were all given one gratuitously. After once experiencing what it takes to get from CD to I-Tunes and into the Shuffle, I gave it away.

While worrying about what I'd do for a PDA in the future, I started reading individual reviews on the I-Touch. I believe the majority concensus is that it pales in comparison to the TX. I spent the money on a spare display, glass digitizer, and motherboard.

My two cents. FWIW

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Mark, what is it you would like your device to be able to do? Or is play mp3s it? You don't sound like you use PIMs, which is the thing that makes moving from a TX hard for some people. In fact, if you don't use PIMs, an iPod Touch would pronbably be an easy transition.

But if you only want audio, a nano or other brand audio player would be just as good.

So, what are you looking for, exactly.

EDIT: Just saw your post in the iPod Touched thread-- yeah, I think an iPod Touch would be fine for you. 8gb is probably plenty (apps don't take much space).

7. boczkowski

Hey there Hook, nice to see you here :)

With my memory failing (the one in my head) I tend to use a paper pad for PIMS and the calendar on my phone (simple). It is getting so bad some days that by the time the laptop had booted or I had logged into the TX and navigated to correct app...I'd forgotten. SO, the device doesn't 'need' PIMS.
    I would miss, however, the ability to check email from an instant on device (I suppose that is what I was trying to do with the Dana, plus I had a keyboard to reply on! unlike the TX which was never good for that in my experience)

I don't use the bulk of the TX's abilities because I find it a pain in the ass because of poor navigation, imho.

I suppose I am trying to replace it with an iTouch because I could do some recording of ideas, checking of email etc along with the MP3 player side of things.

I think I will nip into the Apple store in Manchester next time I am there and have a play with one, see if it meets what I (think I) need.

If I used the call allowance on an iPhone, I'd have got one, but, as I use my mobile very very rarely (on PAYG) it just isn't worth the outlay. I'm interested in the device only.

I should probably get a thirty quid MP3 player with micro SD card slot and save myself a few quid, something like a Sansa or something.

...ponders...

sweller, I can totally see why you spent that cash on a TX refurb programme. thing is I am in the UK and it ain't that easy for me, shipping costs and associated risks make it expensive and scary. If I were in the US I'd have gone to (whatever his name is) for repairs after the fourth replacement from Palm ;) failed

Hmm, cheap nokia, cheap mp3, pen, pad, neo, small canvas man-bag...whaddya think?

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Just make sure you get an iPod Touch powerful enough to take advantage of OS 4.0. IIRC, the 8gb is from the previous generation and can't multitask.

9. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

I still have both of my TX's, and they are working as well as ever!

I have moved on to the Pre Plus (AT&T) recently and am enjoying it immensely!

Wifi works great in the house, the BT pairs with my motorcycle helmet system beautifully! I listen to stereo music from it, then when a call comes in the music pauses and I can talk to the caller!

SplashID is now available in webOS format (my most-used program), and having a cool new browser (similar to an iPhone with pinch/pull zooming) and soon to have Flash capability ain't hay either! ;)

The touchstone holds the phone at a good angle for movie viewing while charging.

WyreNut

10. tverberg

tverberg Mobile Enthusiast

What would I do if my TX died? I don't need a cell phone. I'd be tempted by the Apple iTouch. I love all the apps available for it, and I like its wi-fi capability. But, that said, I hate Apple and I don't know if I could give them my money.

Last December I got a 10" Dell netbook. (I'm typing this on it.) As much as I love my TX and my desktop PC with 24" monitor, this netbook fills a niche between the two. But it's more of a TX replacement than a desktop replacement. I really thought I would do more surfing on my TX, but there are just some web sites you can't get to with it. Plus the TX is so danged slow. And, like you mentioned, responding to emails just isn't easy. This little netbook is so powerful and so portable. No, it's not as portable as a TX, but, compared to my husband's laptop, it's teeny. Just a thought.