What can I do with my Palm T/X?

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by Russo, Mar 30, 2016.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Considering how long ago it was, the TXs and Lifedrives were pretty potent devices. I still pull out mine on occasion and they still function, albeit clunkily. The worst aspect of the WiFi was the browser, which even at the time wasn't optimal.

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Still running (and current) DateBk6 on both TXs, but also needing to send both of them off to Chris for new screens/digitizers and batteries. Battery of the newer (by a year) of the two is beginning to swell :vbfrown: , although it holds a charge better than the other one.

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I don't miss Palm anymore. At the time it did what I wanted, but as smartphones have evolved I have found they are faster. I was also never very quick with graffiti.

I do have a soft spot for the old Palm M100. My first palm, and I had a keyboard that it connected to...greatest thing ever for taking notes in college.

Hook, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I have tried to use my phone as I did my Palm. Of course, my phone can do a whole lot more, but with the help of Google, I can sync my calendar, task, notes (with Keep and 3rd party Evernote) and contacts. All the PIM's that I loved with Palm are now available through Google.

I was and still am good with Graffiti and so glad that I can still use it on my Phone. It is so much more convenient for me to take notes without even looking at the screen. I still have a foldable BT Palm Keyboard that I keep in my carrying case to type with when I'm traveling. Here at my desk at home, I'm using a HP WebOS BT keyboard to type with to my tablet.

Years ago when I made the switch from Palm OS to Android I commented about how, IMO, that Google and Apple foundations were built on entertainment whereas Palm's foundation was on productivity. Hook had said that eventually iOS and Android would eventually catch up with the productivity side of things. I believe, as far as I use my phone vs a Palm, that it has. But not only has Google's OS caught up concerning apps for productivity, but now all of my devices are automatically synced together.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. r0k

r0k Dazed

I went from Palm to BB then to iPhone. I found BB email to work well but pretty much everything else to be lacking. By the time I first switched to iPhone, I had made the decision that for me any PDA would need to be built into my phone to make it worth carrying around so my impressions of my smartphone are affected by its performance as a phone, not only its ability to handle PIM functions I used to rely on Palm. Back in the day, I got used to the idea of a "networked PDA" with wifi on my TX so for me a smartphone is good if it performs well as a phone and performs well as a "networked PDA." If those two are well integrated, it's icing on the cake.

Phone performance has left me somewhat dissatisfied with my iPhones as phones becuase I'm on At&t which is arguably the second most reliable carrier. I got a LOT of dropped calls when I first went to At&t in 2010. I get a LOT of dropped calls lately. I'm considering moving back to Verizon for this very reason.

Returning to PIM performance, Apple started out able to handle email, notes, calendar very well. I ignore todo but I assume it was also done well. Now that my smartphone has become my main camera, I also care about how photos are handled. In 2010, the state of dot mac which was soon renamed mobile me was somewhat lacking. Since then Apple's sync service has been renamed again to iCloud and I find sync across devices to be flawless. Recent OS updates allow me to no longer have to micromanage storage on my devices. There is a setting I can toggle to automatically downsample local image copies and only retrieve them from the cloud on demand. This frees up tens of gigabytes on my device. For my first 3+ years of iPhone ownership I was facing a quarterly (sometimes monthly) ritual of transferring and deleting old photos to avoid running out of storage and only finding out about it when a movie suddenly stopped recording during one of my kids' recitals.

I'm happy with the Notes app. I keep seeing popups offering to "upgrade" my notes. I often eye any offer to "upgrade" my preexisting data with suspicion. I guess some other tech companies have taught me that habit. So I stick to the pre iOS 9 notes format for now. I'm happy with calendar. I'm happy with the contacts app though I wish I could do smart groups on iOS like I can on OSX. I'm not entirely satisfied with iOS mail. I use it all the time but I also keep the gmail app around and I use both apps interchangeably.

I have an Android phone for work (which I should be trading for an iPhone 6 in a few days YAY!) I've been very unhappy with my experience on Android. I must admit it might be the fault of the lousy software our IT folks load on the thing. I find calendar to work well enough. I haven't found or even looked for a notes app. I'm sure there's one somewhere. I find the phone app to work miserably compared to iOS even though the phone performance is better on Verizon (work issue Samsung GS4) versus At&t (my iPhone 6).

One area I'm not the least bit happy with is battery life. I'm considering either the Plus or SE iPhone version for my next (personal) upgrade if only to get more battery life. As a "Palm replacement" for my PIM needs, my iPhone has passed capabilities my TX (or Treos) once had.

jigwashere, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Oh yes, that sense of accomplishment was great, finding yet another thing our PDAs could do, going from discovery through implementation to result. Now, OTOH, want to do something more with your phone? Launch Play Store, search for the app, install, run, done. Not much of an accomplishment IMO.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. japplesin

japplesin Mobile Consultant

Believe it or not I still use my Palm TX because I like the SplashID which has all my passwords data and it also came with a desktop version for Windows that you can synchronize.
    I am however surprised and glad that this forum is still alive. Many would have shut down long ago. I have learned a lot in this forum and even build small microphones for for the TX.
    In addition I also have the old Tungsten T when it was first introduced (20 years ago). It is still working although the battery (replaced once) is on the downhill. I love all my gadgets.

raspabalsa, Mi An, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  8. lelisa13p

Glad to see you visiting, japplesin. :hi: I, too, have a fondness for TX and have 2. :vbcool:

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

...then you're right at home here at B.H.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

10. lelisa13p

:thumbsup:

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.