What Are Your Opinions On The WM2003 Upgrade For 3955?

Discussion in 'iPAQ h3600-h3900 series' started by Gyeswho, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gyeswho

Gyeswho Mobile Evangelist

The ppl that have the upgrade on the 3955 what is your overall impression with it? Is 2002 in the dirt now or is 2003 a waste? Give your opinion.

I also have some questions regarding upgrading. I am hear a good amount of complaints that are making me think twice about upgrading but at the same time I hear good as well.

1- Is Nevo still availabe after the upgrade? If it ain't there's no way im UG(Upgradin'). Nevo is too good to loose.
    2- Does the file store really disappear ofter you UG?
    3- Is there any way too downgrade safely back to 2002 safely?

If anyone would be kind to answer, it would help me out alot.

2. rah

rah Mobile Deity

1) Nevo is still there after the upgrade, however, I do not use it so not sure if there are any changes.

2) Filestore does not seem to be available after upgrade. The way I remember it working with PPC 2002 was either through Program Manager as a program or System Settings. Can you confirm this if you are running PPC 2002? This has been one of my questions that I put on this and other forums was how do you access Filestore?

3) Don't know about safely downgrading back to 2002. The upgrade process mentions being asked if you want to save your current ROM image, but I never saw it. PPC 2002 is on the upgrade CD so you can go back by re-flashing the ROM image. When I tried this to see if Filestore came back, it did re-install 2002 but no Filestore.

I am running a 3955 with WM2003 and it for sure is faster than PPC 2002. Other issues that I have that you did not ask about are:
    1) Numerous alarm issues (errant alarms going off, odd sounds)
    2) Missing sounds (Activesync startup has no sound at all)

I have not found all the answers to the issues I have with WM2003, but if you decide the risk is worth it, best of luck!

3. Gyeswho

I have 2002. You can get filestore by going to 'File Explorer'. At the top left you should see what part you are in (Ex: 'Program Files'). Tap it and a drop down list comes; press 'My Device'at the top and you will see the default folders for your system. You should see 'iPAQ File Store' at the top of the list. Click it and it has all the stuff in the filestore.

Do you regret doing the upgrade with the problems you mentioned or is a good thing you did upgrade?

4. rah

rah Mobile Deity

Basically, I am glad I upgraded. My iPAQ does seem to run a little faster than with 2002. I do not care that much about Filestore. I do care about the alarm and sound problems but have yet to find an answer to fix them. A third party program called SuperAlert almost fixed the alarm problems, but at the end of an alarm sound a "default beep" is added. Other than that, I have not had any errant alarms, yet!

I thought I remember having a place in PPC 2002 that Filestore could be accessed more directly. Maybe in the original backup software, I just don't remember. It asked me what I wanted to place in Filestore like Calendar, or Contacts and they would be safe from a soft reset. A few times I did a soft reset, those items I chose were loaded back from Filestore.

5. kikedeolivos

kikedeolivos Mobile Deity

I just ordered the WM2003 CD.
    I also use SuperAlert, which has been flawless for my appointments.
    You are using it?Is for PPC2002.The WM 2003 version of SuperAlert is in an early beta.

6. rah

rah Mobile Deity

kikedeolivos,
    I'm using the beta version of SuperAlert and having these alarm problems (well, I guess a short beep at the end of an otherwise good alarm is not that big a deal) but I would hope that Garry will come up with a fix for that too.

What Pocket PC are you using? Have you read most of the complaints and issues about WM2003?

If you do install the WM2003 upgrade, let me know how SuperAlert works.

Could be that HP/Compaq are the culprits for screwing up the upgrades. They sure seemed to have trouble getting the correct CDs to some of the people that ordered it.
    Contacting their "tech support" regarding the upgrade problems was not helpful at all. When I need help and ideas for problem solving, I turn to these forums to draw from a very talented group of people.

7. kikedeolivos

Is there any way to get it somehow?

If not,I figure I need to buy another alarm app.that supports WM 2003.

8. rah

rah Mobile Deity

kikedeolivos,
    This is where SuperAlert support is:
    http://discuss.pocketnow.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=42

I have noticed that some of the guys have not received a link to download the beta version. I got a response from Garry very quickly to download it. There has been very little activity on that forum for a few weeks though. I imagine that they are trying to work out the bugs and make a better product for us end users.

This upgrade deal seems to be a real mess and everytime I have upgraded Pocket PC and desktop OS (or any software for that matter), I have had problems. Makes you want to leave it alone doesn't it? Promises of better, faster, safer, etc. and usually all the new problems make it barely worth the upgrade.

By the way, search the forums for alarm problems. It seems that WM2003 and most third party alarm programs are having trouble too. I wonder when MS or HP/Compaq are going to admit and fix the issues with WM2003?

9. kikedeolivos

I did it yesterday, went smooth.

Enhancements? Not a big deal, I think It doesn't worth it.

If I only had SuperAlert 2003..

It's UNBELIEVABLE that NOBODY (Third party developers) are working on this to make some fast cash...Maybe is rocket science,who knows.

10. Gyeswho

Well it seems if those two things are the main problem then I will upgrade. It seems a lil too petty to complain over something that lil for me. Thanks alot guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.