What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

That is one of the downsides, though I've great luck requesting titles. If your library uses overdrive, it's easy to request, and my librarians seem to make quite an effort. It was a few months before my first requests started coming through, but after that, I started seeing oh, maybe a request a week being filled at some times.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  2. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Yes, I've something like fifteen recommends, but it's more like one every third month for me.

It seems like the Overdrive inventory is pretty uniform throughout the libraries... at least in my state.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

when my library first started the e-loan program, the loan was for 3 weeks; due to popularity, that's been reduced to 2 weeks. throw in having to wait months (sometimes) and it's a lot less wonderful than it used to be. also Overdrive.

lelisa13p, Dngrsone and scjjtt like this.
  4. Dngrsone

I have one county library which has 21 day borrows, but I see two larger counties that let you borrow for only 10 days.

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm still a Luddite as I mostly read in hardcopy (hardcovers if at all possible). I'm reading Charles Finch's 'The Last Enchantments' because it mirrors some of my own experiences. I'm enjoying it.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Edmund, given my druthers, I prefer real, honest-to-goodness books…but e•books are a lot easier to carry around <g>

Mi An likes this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I used to prefer dead-tree books, and had shelves upon shelves of them in my room. Then I started traveling around, and it was increasingly cumbersome to carry my books with me. That's when I started to buy ebooks, I gave most of my paper books to family and friends, and keep just a few mostly for sentimental reasons.

My daughter still prefers paper books. I've purchased a few ebooks for her, but she wants the "real thing". She has several collections (The Hunger Games, Divergent, Of Crowns and Glory, Maze Runner, etc.). I'm happy that she reads so much, although I'd be happier if she accepted ebooks since paper books cost three or four times as much as the digital ones. My son doesn't read so much as my daughter, but ironically, his favorite authors are two youtubers that somehow managed to turn their animation videos into bestseller paper books. Ah well, at least he's reading too.

Me? On my alternative history phase yet again. I'm finishing the Worldwar series by Harry Turtledove, then I'm going to look for other works in the same genre.

Mi An, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dngrsone

I have yet to read the Divergent books, though I have the collection in my TBR

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I agree that for travelling, it makes sense to use an e-reader or tablet. I have in the past, but sparingly.

10. Dngrsone

My work right now is a feast-or-famine kind of thing, so I am getting a lot of reading done on the clock. A reader fits into one of the oversized pockets of my pants.

Currently, I am reading The Unwomanly Face of War: An Oral History of Women in World War II by Svetlana Alexievich. A translation, of course, she is Russian and all the women she interviewed were in the Soviet Union for the war. This book won the Nobel Prize for Literature.