What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I admire your persistence. :thumbsup: I read them all many years ago when I was young and eager, with a memory like a sponge. :vbsmile: I doubt that I have the fortitude to get thru them all again nowadays. I feel the same way about the Foundation series, and the original 6 Dune books. I read them all so long ago that I retain the basic framework but the details to flesh out the experience would mostly seem new again to me (with the exception of the first book, Dune. It's locked in. :vbcool: ). I recall devouring all of these series. I'd finish a book, mull it over in my head for a couple of days and then jump right into the next book. :vbsmile:

I miss being young sometimes. :newpalm:

Hook, RickAgresta and raspabalsa like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've never read the Foundation series. Tried in my teens, but couldn't get through half the first one. The original Dune series, though, I flew through them in my early 20s, revisited them a couple of times in the next decades. I've been thinking about reading them again, but decided to finish LOTR first. I haven't read the later Dune novels, but I think I may read the Legends of Dune series, which expands on the Butlerian Jihad. I wonder if Brian Herbert is true to his father's vision.

lelisa13p, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Lelisa, a bunch of friends had just that conversation., since of course there are new adaptations of Dune and Foundation. All of us had read some or all of each. I read The Hobbit and The LOTR several times, so my memory of those is good. I read Foundation (first 4 books and didn't even know until that conversation that there were ones after the belated 4th one, which came years after the original trilogy) and the first 3 or 4 Dune books. I said during that conversation that I'm old enough now, that re-reading books seems like a tenuous proposition. Too much new stuff to consume. So I'm sure I'll watch these new adaptations, but while I'd like to re-read those books, I doubt that I will.

lelisa13p likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Giveaways! these are on Bookfunnel, and often/always require signing up for an authors newsletter, from which you can unsubscribe.
    This first link is only good through the 16th of October:
    https://books.bookfunnel.com/pka-free-mysteries/4yrsxcicfc

This 2nd link runs from Oct 12 to Nov 14
    https://books.bookfunnel.com/pka-murder-mystery-giveaway/5e3jj8vv4u

Please note, the active through the 16th list includes short samples, long samples, short stories collections, novellas and full-length books.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    BAB2000, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  5. RickAgresta

BAB2000 and lelisa13p like this.
  6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Not sure if the advice is sound... It does mention LOTR, not in a favorable light, but makes for a fun read:

<< LINK >>

7. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2

Rick, thank you for the links, I will look into.

For the recent past past, last several years I was visiting 1/2 Price books for a couple Brad Thor books, found then in a series about the exploits of Scott Harvath , the latest is Black Ice, which is unopened on my end table.
    I have also read the Jack Reacher collection, waiting for the newest release next month.

And, in the past year, picked up from library, Brad Taylor books of the exploits of Pike Logan and the TASKFORCE. I have read all his stories of this series and very recently found a collection of Novellas (sp?)

I know use a Amazon HD10, a Christmas gift in 2020, and visit the library virtually via OVERDRIVE, and download to my Kindle reader included.

As you can see, I seem to embrace the hero/situation theme books of late and will likely continue until another theme sparks an interest.

I will follow the links and see what awaits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Howdy, Bab. :hi: Nice to see you drop in!

9. RickAgresta

I just finished
    Phi Beta Bimbo, by Trish Jensen. fwiw, a number of posts in Out of Context Quotes are from the book. It was a fun read, by a new to me author. Not certain of the genre, but romantic-comedy comes to mind. Well developed characters, good story. At least 4 's :newpalm:

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I discovered last night close to midnight that Amazon had The President's Daughter by James Patterson and Bill Clinton for $4.99 for one day only, so I grabbed it. I've just barely started it, but it hooks you pretty quickly. Hoping it's as good a thriller as the reviews say. I'll let you know.

BAB2000, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.