What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Deals/offers from a newsletter sent by M T McGuire; let me know if I've mucked-up any links:

Free Sci-Fi and Fantasy Tales:
    https://books.bookfunnel.com/maysff001a/lcsy0cwco2

All Sci-fi Giveaway: Dystopias, Neon, Aliens, & More! Get these books fast! This promotion ends August 15th!
    https://storyoriginapp.com/bundles/f7e45066-c8a2-11eb-ba7c-ef033748ded2?bundleLinkId=AERgwlF

Free audiobook:
    https://payhip.com/b/ubYs
    2021_08_07_11.05.15.png

Starship Wake, by Si Clarke
    https://storyoriginapp.com/giveaways/2b4aa96a-801d-11eb-8e32-2b699b81dd94

0b1c85cd-a282-4d94-b718-93ad1e5369b7.jpg

"Stardust Wake" by SI CLARKE They’ve been friends since childhood. But can their friendship survive adult reality? A very geeky short story Available in PDF, MOBI, and ePub Confirmed geeks and childhood friends, Lem and Devon are looking forward to reuniting at a convention. Despite their diverging lives and their fair share of secrets, their shared love of cosplay and science fiction brings them together in ways that nothing else could. But not all friendships are perfect. When their old schoolfriend Nerys joins them for the day, rifts soon begin to show as the three realise how far they’ve grown apart. Struggling with Nerys’s insensitivity and her misguided approach to non-binary gender expression, the group are determined to make the most of their time together and embrace their nerdy selves. But with tensions rising, can their friendship withstand the dramatic ways their lives have changed? A short, thought-provoking backdrop to the author’s White Hart series and her forthcoming Teapot series, Stardust Wake provides an insightful glimpse at complex issues while brimming with passion for all things geek.

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  2. RickAgresta

if you're either a fan or can tolerate novels which deal with multiple threads (all relevant to the plot) which jump back and forth among the threads, then give State of Emergency by Marc Cameron a try.

raspabalsa and lelisa13p like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The latter Clancy novels were like this, especially The Sum of all Fears, which also happens to be one of my favorite techno-thrillers. State of Emergency sounds interesting. I was going to grab it, them saw it's the third book in a series. Rick, can it be read as a standalone novel, or is it necessary to get in the know with the first two books?

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  4. RickAgresta

while I'm sure there is some background story in books 1 and 2, I'm not lost. when the author makes a reference to a historical event of the protagonist, he tends to explain and provide details. I'm starting chapter 17 of 74 (and an epilog). And another thing :vbrolleyes: this is from a library -- if you have that (borrowing from a library) as an option in your work area, it's tough to beat reading for free :newpalm: Actually, since this is all online, I guess the library doesn't really have to be local D'oh!
    [​IMG]

lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.
  5. raspabalsa

Thanks for the info, Rick. I think I'll grab it.

Most of the techno-thrillers or WW2 thrillers (ain't necessarily the same, the WW2 novels I read are usually more thriller than techno :cool:) I've read are series, with a central hero (Jack Ryan, Liam Devlin, Patrick McLanahan, etc.). Incidentally - and accidentally too- I've began all those with the first book in the series. In the case of the Jack Ryan series, I borrowed a badly translated copy of The Hunt for Red October, although "stole" would probably be a better description, since I refused to ever return it. This was in the early 90s, no internet, no Amazon, no book stores in Ecuador with books in English, life was tough and survival was for the fittest and meanest only :D. I hated that translation of Red October, because I could mentally return the text to English and the errors were glaring and infuriating. It would be half a decade until I got my hands on a paperback copy in English. By then a couple of book stores had begun a timid and feeble effort to stock books in English. I began to buy - again- all my favorite books and for the first time enjoy them in the original English. Life was good for a while :newpalm:

EDIT: Replaced "libraries" with "book stores" because I was buying, not borrowing books.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    lelisa13p, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  6. RickAgresta

my daily email includes 4 or 5 newsletters from different e-book sources; truth be told, unless it's free, or an author I've communicated with, I don't usually buy the e-book. If it really caught my attention, though, I'll check my local library (which uses Overdrive for e-media: books, audio books or music, video, and recently has added hoopla -- covers much the same e-media as Overdrive, but it seems to be more current). Well, I just saw an interesting blurb for Red Death by Alan Jacobson. Checked it out and find it's the newest (of 7) in this series (FBI agent Karen Vail hunts down killers). Not too happy, I search for info on Jacobson's works.........and came across BookSeriesInOrder.com Looks to be a very useful source I wanted to share.

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I think Sum of All Fears was the last Clancy I read. I found them to be getting more and more unrealistic and bloated.

8. RickAgresta

Came across something new on Amazon; don't know if it is related to Prime or not, but at this point it's free.
    At the 1st link below, one can select a genre, and then a specific story. The story is episodic, and the episodes are on-line.
    If you're lucky, there are a lot of episodes already posted, and the author adds new ones frequently. so far, so good.

https://smile.amazon.com/kindle-vella

blurb from the linked page of what I'm reading:

screenshot-smile.amazon.com-2021.10.02-09_20_39.png

Link: https://smile.amazon.com/kindle-vella/story/B097DYWZKS

in 3 episodes, have learned about The Faceless, Mirror creatures, and Wailers. a definite :thumbsup:

EDIT NUMBER 2: see below, not as good as I thought.....

Introducing Kindle Vella
    Kindle Vella brings you stories released one short episode at a time, available in the Kindle for iOS app and on Amazon.com.

Things to look out for if you're new here:

Follow the stories you like to keep up with the latest from your favorite characters.

When you like an episode, give it a Thumbs Up to let the author and other readers know you liked it.

The first few episodes of every story are always free--after that, purchase Tokens and redeem them to unlock episodes. Tokens may only be used to unlock Kindle Vella story episodes in the Kindle for iOS app and on Amazon.com.

When you unlock episodes, you will receive one Fave a week that you can award to the story you're enjoying most that week. We'll feature Top Faved stories so other readers can find them too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  9. RickAgresta

10. raspabalsa

and
    Two years later, the Hobbits finally dragged their sorry arses out of the Prancing Pony and took to the road again. I picked the book (more accurately, books, since it's a collection with all three novels in one ebook) yet again and continued reading. It's become more engaging, what with Lothlorien, the giant statues on the river, and the orcs attacking the Fellowship. I was actually surprised to turn a page and find the beginning of The Two Towers. It helps that I'm imagining the movies as I read, although the movies are nowhere near carbon copies of the text. I'm not making any bets, but it looks like this time I'll finally get to see Mordor. I'll keep Boromir's warning in mind though:

Sean Bean Mordor.jpg

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Hook like this.