What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just finished "Nothing to See Here" by Kevin Wilson and it is truly one of the most delightful novels I have ever read. It is very hard to describe-- well, not actually, it is a very simple plot, but conveying the plot will fail to reveal the layers that lurk just beneath that simple and, in another author's hand, absurd plot. Wry and funny, but also amazingly intimate and compassionate, it is a great ride and hard to put down. The perfect distraction for being cooped up.

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

And of course I go over to Amazon and listen to the audio sample and then click to open up the book in order to read the (different) print sample there, too. :vbsmile:

I read The Family Fang after seeing the film and I'm familiar with the offbeat sense of the absurd that this author seems to demonstrate so well. :thumbsup:

Before buying, I'll check my local public library to see if they have it to lend. If not, what's the big deal about owning another eBook? I only have a few hundred or so... :vbwink:

Thanks for the share. :vbsmile:

raspabalsa, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Unlike me, I'd wager that they've all been read, though :vbrolleyes:

raspabalsa, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  4. lelisa13p

HAHAHAHAHA! No. :vbgrin:

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  5. RickAgresta

So, a short while back, http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/what-are-you-reading-now.271094/page-30#post-1916774, I'd posted I had this title via KU trial. It was fun, nothing particularly deep (other than figuring out in-family politics). Well written, easy to read. In fact, I enjoyed it enough to grab the 2nd in the series, Tinsel in a Tangle. also an easy, fun read, while providing additional background development.

With my KU trial period now over, I still have a few titles checked out -- the device that has them already DL'd is being kept off-line, since the Kindle app on the phone automagically removed them from the phone the first time I opened it post-expiration.

lelisa13p likes this.
  6. RickAgresta

I wound up buying the "One Helluva Bad Time: The Complete Bad Times Series" by Chuck Dixon, since after a reboot of the tablet, initiated by me, I failed to see that WiFi was on. When I opened the Kindle app, things started disappearing from my library....I was not happy...still, 5 books/1200+ pages for $2.99 is a relative bargain. So far (one complete book into the complete series), I'm enjoying it (d'uh! wouldn't have bought it otherwise...).

If my library ever gets the e-version of Warren Zevon's biography,
    I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
    The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon
    by Crystal Zevon

I'll grab that; it has a foreword by Carl Hiaasen, which in my mind is a plus right there.

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  7. lelisa13p

Warren Zevon was an original. :thumbsup: wozofoz and I discussed him here, back in the day. Maybe I'll try to dig up the posts. :vbsmile:

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  8. RickAgresta

So, I have another trial Kindle Unlimited membership. 2 months. Hopefully, that'll be long enough to finish the 3 (so far) books in The Gamma Sequence, by Dan Alatorre. The 3rd book in the series, Terminal Sequence, caught my eye in a newsletter today, $0.99 USD from Amazon to buy.

Aw, c'mon, RA, 3 books in 2 months? gee, I hope so…maybe if you stop saying the words aloud as you read them it'll go faster…

well, yeah, and it won't bother the cats as much…thing is, it's not always easy to find the time, and each book is loooong…1st book is estimated to take 6 ½ hours to read (~400 pages), 2nd in the series is 300 pages, 3rd is 398 pages.

I'm 60 or so pages into the 1st book (it seems reading in order is sensible, latter building on former) and am enjoying it so far.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  9. RickAgresta

So, nearly done w/ the first book :vbgrin:

Got this link in a new newsletter, for another giveaway:
    https://clcannon.net/bookfair/
    Just paying it forward <g>

lelisa13p likes this.
  10. lelisa13p

I'd be getting more reading done, too, if only I didn't fall asleep minutes into every attempt. :vbrolleyes: My New Normal stress levels are apparently exhausting. :vbfrown: :vbeek: :vbfrown:

RickAgresta likes this.