What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

raspy, just report it, and give it your best guess as to what it should have been.

and if that doesn't work, start copying Jeff Bezos....

raspabalsa likes this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Perhaps in a reflection of my current mood - this winter is far too cold, long, and lonely - I'm revisiting H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. I have an anthology called The Ultimate Collection that I think includes all of the stories related to the Great Old Ones. I'm reading them in no particular order, mostly following references from one to the next with the help of a couple of Lovecraft-related wikis online. I still find the stories very scary and very well written. Last night I finished The Dunwich Horror, and made the mistake of searching online for images of said horror. Had some very intense dreams last night. I'm not sure if "enjoying"is an appropiate description, but I sure am enjoying reading these stories. The dreams, not so much. :D I also revisited King's short story Jerusalem's Lot, which is based on the Chtulhu mythos, even though he mis-spelled the name of one of the Old Ones.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  3. RickAgresta

I think I've found a keeper -- a gem among the common gravel. So, one of my book lists, Book Barbarian, today listed A Shaper’s Promise by Karen MacRae. Free on Amazon I'm not usually a fan of Fantasy,
    but it looked inteteresting, and hey, it's free....

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8CDNSB/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0)

Her author's page included a link to her website and blog; blog has samples of her writing. Wow, just plain WOW; the first story (most recent, that is -- the first one I found) Silence simply grabbed me.
    Blog link here: https://klmacrae.weebly.com/blog

forgot to mention, she also writes contemporary fiction, under the name KL MacRae

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Dngrsone, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  4. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

I'll bite, for that price.

My current favorite, which is not on sale, is The One Who Eats Monsters By Casey Matthews. One of the very few five-star books in my collection.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Thanks for this recommendation. The book is in my TBR (i.e., my overstuffed Kindle). The Silence was truly an amazing, moving... well, silencing piece. Amazing writing. I do have one comment, but it's a spoiler for anyone who hasn't read The Silence.

To be honest (and I suppose I will be in a minority here) I didn't like the final paragraph. If it had been put out in a published book, I would have suspected it was something the publisher insisted on adding. It seemed a manufactured upbeat ending. I felt the story ended, powerfully, with "No one notices her slip away. There is no witness, no loved one by her bedside, no friends to mourn. She’s outlived them all. Silence takes her and she is at peace at last."

Again, thank you.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I agree with your Spoiler. Much more succinct and in keeping with the overall tone of the piece.

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That is a great piece, and I agree with you Hook on your opinion of the ending.

Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  8. RickAgresta

[​IMG]

raspabalsa, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  9. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Is that directed at me? I know that's directed at me! :p

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and Hook like this.
  10. RickAgresta

No no no! more of a self-confession on my part…

Dngrsone, lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.