What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Finished the Bobiverse trilogy... very nice.

Now to find something else new that will not suck...

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I've just started Chasing the Dime by Michael Connelly. I caught a quick review of another of his books, but found this one in my library. About 3 chapters in, interesting so far. Fingers firmly crossed fingers_crossed.jpg

lelisa13p likes this.
  3. Dngrsone

Finished reading The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie. The narration style was a little weird to begin with, but once I got used to it, the book was good.

lelisa13p likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

it took about a third (1/3) of the book to get moving, but when it did, it stayed moving until the end. :newpalm:

lelisa13p likes this.
  5. RickAgresta

if you have decided that RJ Blain is worth 99 cents (http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/what-are-you-reading-now.271094/page-25#post-1914158), then there's this:
    I'd read a sample, but thought I'd wait a bit; grabbed it for the sale price at Barnes and Noble, same price at Amazon. "This sale will end of July 28, 2019."

lelisa13p likes this.
  6. Dngrsone

If you haven't read Beckie Chambers' Along Way to a Small and Angry Planet (and don't mind sci-fi), then here's your chance to get it at a good price: $1.99 at Amazon

lelisa13p likes this.
  7. RickAgresta

If anyone here read nanodaemons (post 140 in this thread; http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/what-are-you-reading-now.271094/page-14#post-1911643) and enjoyed it, another story by the same author is currently (short time only) free on Amazon, US link follows. This is the 2nd book in a series which is described as "Rollerball meets GLOW in this bloody mess of a sport story." The first story/book was Pickle Pie (currently $00.99); https://www.amazon.com/Pickle-Pie-C...CCX1JJ9JZT7&psc=1&refRID=RX588NDNTCCX1JJ9JZT7)

Link to Cherry Pie (free), below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGJTVJ...io-20&linkId=53f4eda2dea06f6de35e91aea6f15ed0"

8. RickAgresta

Not sure it's been mentioned or not, but (at least) Amazon, Barnes&Noble and Google will display currently free ebooks, if you just do a search for (erm, ah...) 'free ebooks'.

lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.
  9. RickAgresta

I just finished 'Final Approach' by John J. Nance; he is a former US air force pilot, a former commercial airline pilot, and has been seen on television as an aviation analyst.

I thought the author's background was good to provide, so as to make it clear that the story -- while fiction -- was technically accurate. All in all, a really good book -- story line development, character development top-notch imho.

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

<rant> Not about what I'm reading, but a comment on the newest feature in the Kindle app on Android: the reader can now report errors in the book to Amazon from within the Kindle reader app, and I thinly hope this means those errors will be fixed. I already reported a few typos from a couple of books, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for the answer. The system could work, except that when a typo is reported, the reader has to provide the correct text. Example, a Starcraft book I own has the following text: " ... hammering repeatedly on the metal exteracy. wthe acid-coated quills shearing away pieces... " with the text in bold an obvious OCR error. But how I'm supposed to know what it should read, since I'm not the author? I wrote the closest thing I could think of: "... on the metal exterior, the acid-coated quills shearing... ". In fact, I already reported this error a couple of times some years ago, via the Amazon help page, and both occasions a friendly but not very knowledgeable Amazon representative told me to download the book again so it could get the updated content. Did so, never got the typo fixed. So I wonder now if I should even go to the trouble of reporting more typos. It's already too bad that such glaring errors appear, pushing me out of the zone. It's worse to raise hopes of ever having them fixed. I'll just go get some coffee and I guess I'll continue doing Amazon's (or the publisher's or editor's) job for free </rant>

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    lelisa13p, RickAgresta and Hook like this.