What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Well, it's not that it's bad, it's just too slow so far. I guess Tolkien was fully building his legendarium, so he devoted a lot of time developing Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. I think I'm reaching the point when the hobbits finally (finally!) leave Tom's home.

I'm alternating LOTR with King's 'Salem's Lot. This is a re-read (last time was maybe 15 years ago). I just purchased the Kindle edition, and curiously, it includes a "Deleted Scenes" sectiom. I'm not sure if I should read this first or last. I read the first edition many years ago, so I wonder what has been pulled off the book..

I don't like how King edits and re-edits his novels. First time I saw this was with The Gunslinger (first in The Dark Tower series). I read the original edition, then some years later King smashed through it, removing most references that made Roland's world a post-apocalyptic Earth, and placing it elsewhere. He also ret-conned characters left and right. Alas, this early edition is not available on Amazon, but I borrowed it from Open Library some time ago. Second time I encountered a re-edited King novel was with The Stand. It became much more bloated (it was very bloated to start with), and IIRC several characters were ret-conned, again to conform to The Dark Tower. And now I find a third instance with 'Salem's Lot. I guess I can expect it to be a ret-conning feast, since one of the main characters (Father Callahan) later appears on - guess where- The Dark Tower, on the last 3 or 4 books. I thought only George Lucas messed with already published works and negated the existence of the first version! Han Solo didn't fire first. In fact, only he fired. Greedo never had a chance to pull the trigger :p

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Hook likes this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I was a huge fan of Niven's Ringworld novels because I don't think I'd read such a complete, believable universe before. He really thought out the laws of physics and how it affected Ringworld. I don't think I read any of the Pournelle-Niven collaborations, although 'Mote in a God's Eye' does seem familiar.

Raspa, I did know King re-did 'The Stand' because the original was butchered in his opinion, before he had the clout to change the editing. Apparently, much more of the original material about the Walking Man was re-inserted. As for ret-conning, I don't know about that. When I found out about the new version of The Stand, I wanted to read it, but have not gotten to it yet. I'm not sure I want to re-read the parts I already read, but since it was a long time ago, I probably would have to. I actually think this topic has already come up here on BH.

3. raspabalsa

I haven't read the Ringworld series but the first one is in my TBR list and I may take it up soon. I read somewhere that Niven's orbital physics was not accurate in the first book or books, because a circular ring can't be in a stable orbit around a star (so say people in the know, I wouldn't know one way or another). I read that in later novels he added a thruster system to the ring, adjusting orbit as needed. I think he justified this addition by describing the thrusters as forgotten or lost tech or as being just discovered by the protagonists. I think this fix to the original problem was nicely done, because he didn't go back and edit the original book. Instead he introduced the solution in a believable way. This is unlike King, who simply changes characters and events in the orginal novels to conform to The Dark Tower. I don't remember most of the changes in the re-edited The Stand. But I got angry at the changes somewhere before the first third of the book and left it. I don't plan to revisit it again.

Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Raspy, the Ringworld novels are well worth reading. Niven is simply outstanding -- even if his science is not always perfect, it's always been feasible.
    I'd be doing you all, and the author/editor I'm about to mention, a huge disservice, if I didn't mention him. I was first exposed to Larry Niven in Spider Robinson's collection of short stories, The Best of All Possible Worlds. The theme of the collection: one of Spider's favorite stories, followed by a favorite story of that author's choosing. The review that follows explains things better than I've done:

Hook and raspabalsa like this.
  5. raspabalsa

I think I've read about that collection, or maybe it was mentioned here. It does sound interesting. I just added it to my TBR list. Thanks, Rick.

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Haven't read it yet, but that caught my eye, too <g>

Hook likes this.
  8. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Redshirts is a funny book, but listening to it is a bit different.

Chapter one seemed like every single paragraph ended with either "he said" or "she said".

RickAgresta likes this.