What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Grated mimes!

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that if you decide to use Barnes&Noble for a Heinlein purchase, you'll need to be persistent in your scrolling (at least in the Nook app), because *many* of the early books listed are in Russian or German. It could be a setting, I guess, in my app -- I'll take a look•see in a bit and edit this post with my findings :vbsmile:

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I just returned from a week-long field trip, to a very remote area with almost zero cell coverage. No internet, no distractions, so I was able to spend lots of time reading. I finished Forsyth's The Fist of God , and it was a very nice re-read. There were a few subtle points that I hadn't caught on my previous read and they improved the story significantly.

After that, I read a recommendation from BookBub: Forging Zero, first of the The Legend of Zero series by Sara King. It's military SF, origin story, and coming-of-age story. I enjoyed it very much, the premise is nice, the main characters are well-developed and relatable. There's quite a lot of alien terms, but then the book is full of alien races. A few of them were very well developed IMO. There's a lot of my favorite tropes from military SF movies: Drill Sergeant Nasty, Sergeant Rock, Action Girl, Deadpan Snarker, Dwindling Party, The Neidermeyer, BFG, Colonel Badass, and of course, Magnificent Bastard :D (just to mention a few). It's almost like the author grabbed the list from Aliens on TVtropes and sketched the plot with that. The novel works well as a stand-alone book, but of course it leaves enough unresolved matters for the sequels. There seem to be over 8 more books in the series. However, from the titles and descriptions it's not clear if there's an overall arc to the story or if they're just monster-of-the-week novels. So I'm not sure I'll follow it yet.

Then I read Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart. In case someone doesn't know, this is the basis for the Hellraiser movies. The original Hellraiser is one of my favorite horror movies, so I expected a lot from the novel (novella, according to Wikipedia). The novel is short but engaging, and soon it was clear that the movie was a very faithful adaptation, almost a direct transfer from paper to film. However, the movie is a blood&gore feast, much more so than the book, so I found it much more enjoyable, especially since the Cenobites are so well designed on screen. I guess if I hadn't watched the movie so many times I'd have enjoyed the novel much more.

I'm going to try another Timothy Zahn book I have: Cobra Slave, first in the Cobra Rebellion series. I got it from a StoryBundle pack a few months ago. Then I think I'll try some Kevin Anderson's book I got from that or another StoryBundle pack.

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.