What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Just finished The Fellowship fo the Ring (Audio) by J. R. R. Tolkien narrated by Rob Inglis.

I'm bout to pull the trigger on The Two Towers, but deciding whether I should just pay the $30 (at Amazon, Kobo wants $35) or take advantage of the Audible trial deal... I'll probably do the latter, though it does mean I have one book on Kobo and the other through Audible.

Not really even sure what the Audible thing would do for me anyway.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Just finished Vengeance, fifth in the Fluency series. As I expected, it dealt fully with the secondary plot of the series, and no, there wasn't much in the way of space combat. Still, a good read. And now I'll have to wait half a year, maybe more, for the next one in the series.

So I'm back to techno-thrillers. Decided to start with Forsyth's The Devil's Alternative, but found it hasn't aged that well since last time I read it, around 2002. The Cold War stuff is still great, but the tech is way off, with unrealistic satellite capabilites and a fantastic SR-71 thrown in for flair. I set it down (figuratively, it's a Kindle ebook :D ) and started Exocet, another re-read for me. Looking good so far, and brings memories of my childhood, since it's set before and during the Falklands War.

That's a book I haven't been able to finish. I think I've tried 2 or 3 times, and so far always set it down less than a third way in. The plot is fascinating, but the level of detail is much too high for my taste and makes for a very slow read. I may try again some day because I know I'm missing a classic fantasy novel.

lelisa13p, Hook and Dngrsone like this.
  3. Dngrsone

The hard part to listening to the book is I have to endure the songs and poems...

But I love Inglis' voice for these books.

I have tried the radio drama, but the added music and the characters filling in the narrative parts just threw me off.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

raspabalsa, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Aww, well, if you ever want to take another swing at Zahn, Angelmass is more of a space opera and is my favorite Zahn title, though I admit, it's been many years since my last reading. I actually just bought a digital copy to replace the paper one I gave away and am planning when to reread it. And I stopped reading novels on paper a very long time ago.

raspabalsa and Hook like this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes! That was what bored me, and it's worse because I had to read them. Last time I quit not long after Tom Bombadil rescued the hobbits from the Old Man Willow. I'm not sure, but I think that's less than a fifth into the book. Maybe as I grow older I'll also grow more patient and will be able to finish it.

Yes, I plan to revisit Zahn. I have another of his novels, the first in the Cobra Slave series, and Angelmass is in my TBR.

I finished Exocet. Still a very good read, even though I last read it when I was in high school. Seemed very short this time. I just started Forsyth's The Fist of God.

Dngrsone and Mi An like this.
  6. Dngrsone

So, Tom Bombadil is the one episode that I could have done without. If you can get through that part, everything else just falls into place.

I know there are plenty of people who love Tom, but that's a piece of lore I can certainly live without.

raspabalsa likes this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Count me as a Tom Bombadil fan (although I haven't tried it on audio).

I haven't used many audio books; but I'm considering trying Ove Knausgard's 'My Struggle,' which is this huge opus (6 books of huge length) on audio.

I also bought 'Girl on the Train' on audio because I heard it was a great performance. I just haven't listened to it, even though I've seen the movie and had it for a couple of years.

Dngrsone likes this.
  8. Dngrsone

That's one book I put down... The Girl on the Train, that is the whole alcohol thing was just too much for me.

lelisa13p likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I just plunked down a ton more than I usually spend for e-books on The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein. Thank heavens for gift cards <Grin>. I've always enjoyed vintage Heinlein (his later stories not so much) and I got it into my head to find this book. Not in my library's Overdrive collection, didn't want the dead tree version, so $7.99 (USD) off of a gift card it was. Well worth it :vbgrin: A sample:

... I have spent too much of my life opening doors for cats—I once calculated that, since the dawn of civilization, nine hundred and seventy-eight man-centuries have been used up that way...

raspabalsa, lelisa13p, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Funny. I was thinking of doing some vintage Heinlein shortly. Was eyeing Methuselah's Children, which I think was the first one I ever read, back in high school.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.