What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thanks Rick, but I got it en ebook format years ago. I think it was one of my earliest ebook purchases. I no longer have the paperback versions (one in Spanish - terribly awful translation), though.

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Just finished Please Don't Tell My Parents You Believe Her by Richard Roberts. I love this series, and while I'm sad that it ended, I'm looking forward to whatever else he writes.

jigwashere, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  3. Dngrsone

Finished Persuader by Lee Child. Can't really say more than I liked it, but then, it's been one of those weekends.

Now I am about to start Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I don't think I (or anyone else) has mentioned, but B&N (Barnes & Nobel) offers free e-books via their nook app; they probably do via their website, too, but on my tablet the nook app works nicely (available on/at/via the Play Store).

There seems to be a preponderance of romance/romantically-inclined stories, fwiw. Also, if your favorite (or other ranked-author) author is based outside the US, my understanding is that there are tons of hoops and barrels to navigate.

lelisa13p, Dngrsone and jigwashere like this.
  5. Dngrsone

Amazon Prime also offers (usually four to pick from but you can only get one of those) titles for free every month. Many are previews of upcoming releases, so they can have reviews in-place when they go on public sale.

Samsung also does this, called Samsung Select if I recall; you can see the deals and download one through the Kindle for Samsung app which is either preloaded on your Samsung device or at least available for it at the Samsung App Store.

There does seem to be a bias towards romances, particularly during the summer months, but I have gotten a few gems this way.

Also, don't forget your local public library! Many here in the States offer ebooks to borrow via apps like Overdrive. Loan periods vary between libraries--I've seen some lend for only 14 days, others for 21.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6. RickAgresta

My library started with 21 days, but has since dropped the loan period to 14 days -- high demand, they say.

7. Dngrsone

That kind of makes sense.

I know with one library, the waiting list can get pretty large: for one book I'm in a group of 78 waiting to borrow. Now that I think of it, that library has a 14 day loan and a limit of like five books at a time.

I usually return within a week, though there have been times when I have waited until the last minute.

8. RickAgresta

with OverDrive, does it really make a difference if one returns a book, or not? if it did, I'd expect the library would take action (emails/texts/phone calls).

jigwashere likes this.
  9. Dngrsone

If you hold on to it until the expiration, it is automatically returned.

Returning it early is just a nice thing to do so that the next person waiting for that book can get it sooner.

10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I just finished The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn. I struggled to finish it because it's not quite the space opera novel I expected. Instead, it's a space mystery, a kind of "Agatha Christie meets Han Solo & Chewie" novel. At times I felt like I was reading a Clue game transcript. There's even a chapter where the suspects are around a dinner table in a mansion, discussing whodunit :D. The climax and resolution were satisfying enough, but overall it failed to engage me.

I'll return to the Fluency series now. The fifth installment, Vengeance, was released a few weeks ago. I purchased it right away, but held on until after a) I went on vacation with my kids, and b) I finished The Icarus Hunt . The fourth novel in the series, Valence has one of the best combat sequences I've read in recent times, twice. I hope this new novel tops that, although I'm guessing it will develop the secondary plot that started on the third book and was just slightly mentioned in Valence. I guess both the main and secondary plots will fully converge in the as-yet-unreleased 6th novel, and then we'll see the cataclysmic confrontation between Good and Evil, with the victory dance afterwards (but only after the fat lady sings, as Captain Steve Hiller would say :D).

After Vengeance I'll return to techno-thrillers for a while. I have Forsyth's The Fist of God and Higgins's Exocet lined up. Both will be re-reads, but I enjoyed them a lot, and it's been several years since I've read either one.