What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Just finished Valence. Took me much longer than expected, though. The book started very slowly, there was a lot of build-up, just like on several Clancy novels I've read. When it finally took off, I did the same :D. I went on vacation with my kids, so my reading time dropped almost to zero. As I approached the end of the book, it was clear that there would be a lot of loose ends, meaning this is not the last in the Confluence series. I'm going to check the author's blog and webpage, see if there's some clue as to when the next book will appear.

A hint for those interested in the series: there's a short story called The Grove, available as free download from the author's webpage. It's part of the Confluence series, and IMO it's best read between the second and third novels.

All in all, I think it's a very good series. The writing style is very different from what I'm used to. The author leans heavily towards female characters, and this is something seldom seen on my usual authors, but that's an interesting and welcome change. After all, a lot of my favorite movies have strong female leading characters.

Now I'll check the novels in the Military SF package I purchased from StoryBundle a while back. I think I'll start with Timothy Zahn's Cobra Rebellion (book 1 in a series, of course :rolleyes:). I think I'll also check Mi An's recommendations by Zahn: Angelmass and The Icarus Hunt. My vacation ends today, and tomorrow I'm going on yet another week-long field trip. I think I'll have enough time to pick up on my reading again.

EDIT: Just read the latest post in the author's blog. The fifth book will be out by August! Seems I picked up the series at the right time (Valence was published late last year). The new book is called Vengeance, which seems odd given how the main plot line ended (or didn't quite ;)), but plays nicely with the other plot line. So, I'm guessing this new book will leave room for a sixth novel. Yay!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  2. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Finally finished Dandelion Wine. Don't why this was so hard to read-- the writing isn't bad or anything, and there some definitely gripping parts to it... mayhaps it was just bad timing on my part (thought the theme for the reading club was "Summer" and this novel fits said theme perfectly).

raspabalsa, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I remember reading Dandelion Wine during the Summer when I was the approximate age of the protagonist, about 12 years old. I had discovered Ray Bradbury the Summer before, along with Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein and spent the next years reading everything that I could find from these giants. Thus began a lifelong love of sci-fi for a little girl who loved (and still does) to lose herself in books. :vbsmile:

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I think I was about 13 when I would wake up at 5am every morning to read Something Wicked This Way Comes before going to school. :vbsmile:

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

my town's first public library was about twice the size of the Tony&Ziva shipping container

I'm pretty sure I was younger than 12, when I started on the Tom Swift Jr. books. Whenever it was, I learned that the system wasn't configured to allow a person to return books the same day as when you checked them out, and then take out more...:vbrolleyes:

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and Hook like this.
  6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I was maybe 10 when I started reading Jules Verne, Emilio Salgari, and E. R. Burroughs. My home city has never had a good library, but luckily my school did. I spent most of my recess time there between ages 11 and 17. For my 11th or 12th birthday I asked for a book and chose the novelization of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Back then I couldn't understand why it was significantly different from the movie. Later I read the novelization of "The Empire Strikes Back" and the differences were more marked. That's the last movie novelization I've read. I still don't understand why a novelization can't be a verbatim transcription of the movie.

Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Despite my aversion to building up a TBR pile, I could not pass up The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov (the first book in the robots series) for $1.99 at Amazon (Kindle version) for Today only, I believe. :newpalm:

I've actually been thinking of going back and reading the classic sci/fi authors.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

raspabalsa, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Raspy, I gave up on the Jack Ryan books after book 5 or so (I'd have to check). They started out excellently; but he became so perfect that for me they were laughable. He was the smartest, strongest, etc. Even more ridiculous than James Bond (who in the books is quite a bit more vulnerable). I did stop reading the James Bond continuation books after a while, but supposedly the recent ones by Anthony Horowitz and William Boyd are supposed to be good.

I didn't realize the Deryni books were tough to come by. I do think there was one written later that I had not read.

Dngrsone likes this.
  10. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Same. They are just...formulaic I guess, and I got bored.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

EdmundDantes likes this.